Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Schefflera help

Does anyone know how to keep a schefflera from growing too tall.?

I just bought a house plant; I asked the store gardener to recommend a plant that required little sun. She showed me a dozen or so and I liked the schefflera. It was not until I got it home that I read that it can grow to a height of 10 feet (3 meters).

It is currently 26 inches tall (66 cm) from bottom of pot to top of plant, and very nicely filled out.

I'd like to keep it from growing too much more and yet keep it nice and fully filled out. Is there a way to do that ? Can someone explain how to do it?
Thank you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 08:00 PM

Re: Schefflera help

Well, with garden plants you nip off the top of the main leader branch, that will make it fill out.
I don't get on well with house plants but that's what I would do.
Also don't increase the pot size until you absolutely have to, then only by a little.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 08:07 PM

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/m.wikiho...-Plant%3famp=1
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Thank you Bratti. that WikiHow link was most helpful.
P.S I am lucky that I accidentally chose a plant with at least 14 main stems. I do not have special "by-pass" pruning shears only regular home sissors. Are those ok ?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Thank you Bratti. that WikiHow link was most helpful.
P.S I am lucky that I accidentally chose a plant with at least 14 main stems. I do not have special "by-pass" pruning shears only regular home sissors. Are those ok ?
You’re most welcome Bakerman.
I would use a sharp knife over a pair of scissors. Scissors tend to squish and cut whereas a sharp knife won’t.
Being a cook I KNOW you’ve got sharp knives.
bakerman
Mexico

12-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
You’re most welcome Bakerman.
I would use a sharp knife over a pair of scissors. Scissors tend to squish and cut whereas a sharp knife won’t.
Being a cook I KNOW you’ve got sharp knives.
Ok, thank you. At least for now , I've decided to use a straight razor.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top