Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:35 AM

Re: Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The problem with doing that Bruce is if an important update comes along I may not be able to get it.
The real problem to us technophobes Meg is that we don't know what's important and what isn't...
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:37 AM

I am so glad I ditched Windows

Ok so I did spend a lot of money going to Apple but it works with no huge bloating upgrades that take all night to download

I did get an upgrade through on Friday for the new OS and it took all of 20 mins to download and install with the click of one button and no changes to any of my settings
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The real problem to us technophobes Meg is that we don't know what's important and what isn't...
TBH Barry, I don't think any of it is important. I don't remember any of this with Windows 95 or 98 and the sky didn't fall in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Barry I am a technophobe too and just muddle along but if some important security update is issued I would like to be able to have it.

I don't want the other rubbish though .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Good luck trying to get rid of McAfee Foxy!
I thought I had several times on my old laptop and it snuck back! It's impossible to remove, I even messaged them and asked them to stop it, they said they would but didn't!
Every time things freeze or start behaving badly I know there's going to be a McAffee message popping up! Grrr!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 01:18 PM

The likes of Norton used to provide a tool to completely remove their bloatware program, is there a similar tool for McAffee?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The likes of Norton used to provide a tool to completely remove their bloatware program, is there a similar tool for McAffee?
IIRC, I used this one:

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter...9215283977715#!

How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows

This article describes how to remove or uninstall a McAfee Consumer product from a PC running Windows using the standard Windows removal steps and the McAfee MCPR tool.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You can turn off WIN10 upgrades altogether and permanently if you don't like them.

Personally my only real objection to the updates are that they reset some things that you have set. ie I had to re-turn off the touch screen on my netbook after the last major update.
I'm afraid you are completely wrong!

I know, because I did that some time ago and, although it worked for a time, one day I found that Microsoft had overridden it and forced an 'update'.

It seems to work, but I know you'll find out for yourself that it is not completely effective.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 02:03 PM

To be honest, I am becoming heartily sick and tired of Microsoft's dictatorial attitude.

They know that they have a captive audience and are taking full advantage of it. I shall wait and see what happens with this enormous and unnecessary 'update', but may decide to do something about Windows 10. The last big 'update' messed up my desktop and some settings, which I find unacceptable.

I have two questions, if anyone can advise.

1. Is it possible to run all Windows software (such as Adobe Photoshop and TurboCAD) on an Apple installation?

2. If I can obtain a Windows 7 installation disc, will I be (once again) be forced to 'upgrade' to Windows 10. If not, and assuming that W7 is 'no longer supported', could I expect NOT to receive constant Windows Update messages? I'd even be prepared to ditch Windows 10 completely if I could not dual boot between W7 and W10.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-09-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good luck trying to get rid of McAfee Foxy!
I thought I had several times on my old laptop and it snuck back! It's impossible to remove, I even messaged them and asked them to stop it, they said they would but didn't!
Every time things freeze or start behaving badly I know there's going to be a McAffee message popping up! Grrr!
I have found that when I update (voluntarily) CCleaner, it also sneaks in a McAfee installation without making it clear that it is about to do so, or at least I didn't see anything.

Actually, it might have been Avast rather than McAfee. Sorry!

On a positive note, however, I have always gone to Control Panel / Programmes and Features, then clicked the McAfee (or Avast) entry and it is uninstalled quickly and easily. Of course I always check now and do it straight away, as it could be that if left for any length of time that may be problematic?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top