Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 10:02 PM

Re: Salads

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Those sound unusual but nice Missy. Might just try the lime and cuc, carrot and orange ones

They are unusual but believe it or not, really nice and refreshing, esp the cucumber one

I throw all sorts onto a salad, orange, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, apple, melon etc, they all work and just make for different flavours in the mouth especially as so much "salad veg" is pretty tasteless
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Here is mine I made the other day, it was delicious, my husband and dad loved it too.

Here is how I made it

I put in chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped red and yellow pepper, sweetcorn, red and green chillis chopped, diced cheese, chopped crab sticks and spinach. I then added a couple teaspoon of olive oil, lazy garlic, mixed herbs, black pepper, salt, turmeric and a little mint sauce then mixed it all up together.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=56384
Lion that sounds delicious....I like crab.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Here is mine I made the other day, it was delicious, my husband and dad loved it too.

Here is how I made it

I put in chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped red and yellow pepper, sweetcorn, red and green chillis chopped, diced cheese, chopped crab sticks and spinach. I then added a couple teaspoon of olive oil, lazy garlic, mixed herbs, black pepper, salt, turmeric and a little mint sauce then mixed it all up together.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=56384
Apart from the crab sticks - that sounds delicious. LQ!

How are hubbys ribs doing now? Less painful, I hope.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
They are unusual but believe it or not, really nice and refreshing, esp the cucumber one

I throw all sorts onto a salad, orange, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, apple, melon etc, they all work and just make for different flavours in the mouth especially as so much "salad veg" is pretty tasteless
I have much the same approach to salads, Missy. Love them - and chuck in whatever comes to hand - apart from the cats!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 07:38 AM

A bit of everything and a handful of sultanas and diced chicken tossed in mayonnaise flavoured with curry....bit like Coronation Chicken but less chicken and more salad veggies delicious
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Do you use a sauce Susie ? Or perhaps, oil and lemon?

This is going to be an interesting thread
Hi Blue, I can't stand it when they put Oil on the salad and no I don't use a sauce because of my Diabetes, the sauce has too much sugar in them.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I chop my salad, mix it all and add whatever I can find to make it interesting

So a base of chopped lettuce, cue, toms, then Ill add onion, gherkin, pickled walnuts, olives, some chopped nuts and seeds, croutons, maybe some chopped grapes, chickpeas or kidney beans

Basically lots of different textures and flavours . all in bowl, add some dressing and thats it, add whatever protein to the side

I also like pasta and rice salads

Another thing that was new to me when I moved here but I now love is jelly in a salad

So for cucumber id make a lime jelly, add lots of fine chopped cucumber. Beetroot id add to blackcurrant jelly, grated carrot to an orange jelly. Sounds really weird but it works
Pasta i'm fed up with, if you buy a Salad Bowl in the shops its always full up with Pasta.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

05-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Lion that sounds delicious....I like crab.
I love crab - but won't touch crab sticks!

Ingredients of crab sticks
Alaska Pollock, Water, Egg Whites, Wheat Starch, Sugar, Corn Starch, Sorbitol, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: King Crab Meat, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Extracts of Crab shell, Oyster, Scallop, Lobster and Fish (Salmon, Anchovy, Bonito, Cutlass fish), Refined Fish Oil (Adds a Trivial Amount of Fat) (Anchovy,

The Japanese name is surimi and surimi is big business. Surimi manufacturing takes lean fresh fish or lean fish by product and turns them into seafood-like tube shaped products with a long shelf life. They contain fish that has been pulped and washed to remove odour. The texture is then improved with starch, egg white, vegetable oil, meat glue and humectants. Salt, sugar, MSG and other flavours are added to give the surimi flavour.

The surimi is shaped and covered in food dye to make it look like it came from a crustacean. Surimi is mostly made in Asia where it is eaten as a dish in itself where here it is offered as a substitute for the real thing.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

05-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Thank you all very interesting.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love crab - but won't touch crab sticks!
I don't eat much false food but I do like crabsticks, I can't stand crab, the real thing lol.

My husband is much better thanks tabby for asking. He's managing well with pain relief. The worst time for him is first thing in a morning.

Happy Friday xxx

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top