Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 07:25 PM

Re: Spiders in my house!

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Or served in a cuppa.

Extra protein
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Extra protein
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 09:06 PM

If you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive.

They eat insects that spread diseases, and in the past were welcome to keep mosquito and fly numbers down.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do people keep anti venom in the house or does it have to be given by a doctor?
By a doctor but the chance of being bitten is very remote and the chance of dying even less. Most of the time for a healthy person the doctor will tell the patient, "Let's wait and see what happens."

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
My question is,Bruce,how would you know which spider bit you?..plus how would you know it was a spider bite?..surely you don't always see them,do you?
There are really only the two dangerous spiders, A Funnel Web is big and hairy, (a Tarantula) the Redback makes a fairly distinctive web and eggs. But I have never been bitten so I don't know.

As I said all spiders are venomous (that's how they kill their prey) but most don't have fangs than can pierce human skin. For example the Huntsman is considered harmless but I am told that if it does manage to bite you then the bite is quite painful.

As I say I have never been bitten.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There are really only the two dangerous spiders, A Funnel Web is big and hairy, (a Tarantula) the Redback makes a fairly distinctive web and eggs. But I have never been bitten so I don't know.

As I said all spiders are venomous (that's how they kill their prey) but most don't have fangs than can pierce human skin. For example the Huntsman is considered harmless but I am told that if it does manage to bite you then the bite is quite painful.

Glad to hear it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:34 PM

I have been bitten by a Huntsman female - my own fault as I accidentally disturbed her nursery web. She was not pleased - her bite was extremely painful and made me feel sick for a couple of days. I proceed with caution in the garage these days! Spiders are fascinating and much maligned.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:35 PM

By a doctor but the chance of being bitten is very remote and the chance of dying even less. Most of the time for a healthy person the doctor will tell the patient, "Let's wait and see what happens."

Awwww! Very cute.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:40 PM

I like spiders in the house, well Huntsman anyway. They don't make webs and they eat real nasties like cockroaches.

The females sometimes make a 'nursery' web, Bruce, I think it depends on where they are and how secure it is for their young.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

19-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Spiders webs are good to put on minor cuts and scratches as they are antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal. They also contain Vitamin K which helps blood to clot. Spiders are definitely good guys in my book!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top