Join for free
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Squirrels are great.

I have around 5 or 6 that come to the feeder though one will still hang upside down on a bird peanut feeder but there is always one that will do their own thing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Re: Squirrels are great.

Love squizzles only time im not keen is when they get on the road their zig zaggy run may be good defence against predators but a car cant cope
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:50 AM

Why do squirrels swim on their backs? it is so they can keep their nuts dry of course
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:08 PM

I'd love to get Squirrels in my garden but they all live over the road in the nature reserve and there seems to be plenty of grub for them over there.

Serious question, how much mess do they make and do they leave a lot of droppings?
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I'd love to get Squirrels in my garden but they all live over the road in the nature reserve and there seems to be plenty of grub for them over there.

Serious question, how much mess do they make and do they leave a lot of droppings?
What do you mean by mess?
And I cannot say that I have noticed anything in the way of droppings, in fact I have just had to Google to see what they look like.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:35 PM

They like to dig little holes in the lawn here to bury the acorns, then come midwinter they forget where they are and dig all over the borders and lawns looking for them. We find that quite funny to watch and put out squirrel food for them but if you love your lawn it might not be so funny to watch i guess.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

23-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They like to dig little holes in the lawn here to bury the acorns, then come midwinter they forget where they are and dig all over the borders and lawns looking for them. We find that quite funny to watch and put out squirrel food for them but if you love your lawn it might not be so funny to watch i guess.
I have a rubbish bit of communal grass at the block of flats and there are certainly holes in it from the squirrels, but I am not concerned with that at all. But of course if i had a nice bit of lawn I might well have different thoughts on the matter.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:10 PM

My squirrels are quite happy with a bit of grass.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180513 055 Roma.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	7687  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 01:25 PM

One of my near neighbours had an enormous Walnut tree in his garden, and as you can imagine, there were many squirrels around harvesting the nuts.

They would scamper along the top of my fences, help themselves to my bird food, then leap into the big tree to gather some walnuts.
My dogs would go absolutely bonkers and chase after them.

Mostly what annoyed me was, early morning before the dogs were about, the squirrels would come in to my garden and keep digging out my pots and tubs to bury the walnuts in.
Bloomin' compost everywhere, which they threw about with gay abandon.

Apart from the mess every day, plants and shrubs which I had mulched in bark for winter protection, were all dug up again, and the bark chippings throw everywhere, often exposing the plant roots.
Everyday I had to re-cover the plants, and the next day it would all be dug out again.

Then the following year any nuts which I had missed, would start growing, so I had them to pull up as well.

Eventually the tree had to come down, as it was discovered the huge roots were under my kitchen floor. My insurers were not happy and wrote to the chap.
Since the tree was taken down, I do not get half as many furry visitors.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

23-10-2018, 01:51 PM

They dug up my plants in a large planter I had. I got some chicken wire and some 2" x 1" timber and built a frame. Once the plants were fully grown they did not bother them.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top