Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Re: Squirrels are great.

Millie keeping a watchful eye.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:07 AM

The thick one on the 6 that visit.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Why do squirrels swim on their backs? it is so they can keep their nuts dry of course

You are so funny realspeed. I'll be laughing all day over this. I love my squirrels....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
I have around 5 or 6 that come to the feeder though one will still hang upside down on a bird peanut feeder but there is always one that will do their own thing.
I love my squirrels MrFraggle. Thanks for posting this. hahaha........they do such funny things. I had my regular lot before I moved, and I worried about them at night as we have coyotes here....but I got over it and now I have a new lot started, 2 black and one gray. They are very young. Wish they wouldn't rip my screen on the back door tho. They all know the same tricks to get your attention.

Did you ever notice how they wiggle their tail to get your attention?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

25-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
One of my near neighbours had an enormous Walnut tree in his garden, and as you can imagine, there were many squirrels around harvesting the nuts.

They would scamper along the top of my fences, help themselves to my bird food, then leap into the big tree to gather some walnuts.
My dogs would go absolutely bonkers and chase after them.

Mostly what annoyed me was, early morning before the dogs were about, the squirrels would come in to my garden and keep digging out my pots and tubs to bury the walnuts in.
Bloomin' compost everywhere, which they threw about with gay abandon.

Apart from the mess every day, plants and shrubs which I had mulched in bark for winter protection, were all dug up again, and the bark chippings throw everywhere, often exposing the plant roots.
Everyday I had to re-cover the plants, and the next day it would all be dug out again.

Then the following year any nuts which I had missed, would start growing, so I had them to pull up as well.

Eventually the tree had to come down, as it was discovered the huge roots were under my kitchen floor. My insurers were not happy and wrote to the chap.
Since the tree was taken down, I do not get half as many furry visitors.
Mups, the same thing happened to my brother. He had a black walnut tree in the yard, and the roots eventually worked their way under the foundation of the house.

The squirrels seem to always make their way into my garden or my flower pots to bury the nuts. I didn't put down the mulch this year. Too much mess, they are going to dig either way.......

But I do love the squirrels and think they are very intelligent little creatures. They all do the same thing, lift one arm when they are begging. If you throw out a bunch of peanuts, all shelled, they gather quickly, two or three in their mouth at the same time, and they try to cram more in. They actually jump over each other like a game of checkers to get the peanuts.

The neighbours hate me to feed the squirrels though, I have to go into the woods, they meet me there. That is our new system.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

25-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I'd love to get Squirrels in my garden but they all live over the road in the nature reserve and there seems to be plenty of grub for them over there.

Serious question, how much mess do they make and do they leave a lot of droppings?
Nicol, you wouldn't see the droppings if they are in your garden. You only notice the little round droppings on a deck or railing of a balcony I guess.
They pee everywhere of course..
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

25-10-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They like to dig little holes in the lawn here to bury the acorns, then come midwinter they forget where they are and dig all over the borders and lawns looking for them. We find that quite funny to watch and put out squirrel food for them but if you love your lawn it might not be so funny to watch i guess.
I love watching them also Julie. How on earth would they remember where they hid those nuts. Must be that they smell them....guess they like rotten nuts, haha
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

25-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My squirrels are quite happy with a bit of grass.

Pretty big squirrels you got there Bruce....hahaha
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

25-10-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
He is a beautiful colour Bes, I don't think we have any red ones around here.....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

25-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Millie keeping a watchful eye.
Nice video with Millie watching. She looks like she is watching a movie.....hahaha

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top