Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Be careful at night

I received a warning today, from our Neighbourhood Watch about these darker nights upon us now.

It was saying about the darkness is a criminal's friend and warning about if we are walking, stay in well lit area, not to take short cuts up badly lit alleyways, keep purses/wallets close to you, let someone know where you are going, etc.

It finished up by advising us to always carry a personal alarm.

This made me wonder whether they are are a good idea, and I don't know whether I should have one or not?
I suppose you don't just have to have it on you if you are walking, you could also keep it handy indoors too, perhaps.
I've seen you can get some torches with built-in alarms.

Does anyone on here have one, and have you ever had to use it?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:25 PM

Re: Be careful at night

I carry a great big stick as I am too old to run now.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:25 PM

Good thread Mupsy. I am hardly ever alone, I do have a personal alarm, never had to use it thank goodness.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Good thread Mupsy. I am hardly ever alone, I do have a personal alarm, never had to use it thank goodness.

Do you do night driving alone, Sweetie?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-11-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I carry a great big stick as I am too old to run now.

Does that give you more confidence than an alarm might, Purwell?

I suppose it also depends whether we are still strong enough to give a couple of burly blokes a hard enough whack with it too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:35 PM

I make sure the security guard watches me out to my car in the darkened carpark at work, then I ring home as I park outside the flats and Nathan pops out to put the outside lights on for me and sees me up the stairs. I wouldn't be too scared myself to wander around but I don't like worrying my husband and Nathan so I take precautions.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Does that give you more confidence than an alarm might, Purwell?

I suppose it also depends whether we are still strong enough to give a couple of burly blokes a hard enough whack with it too.
My walk home from the pub can be a bit dodgy as it is about a mile along two sides of a meadow, houses only on one side of the path.
I have had one or two nasty experiences with teenagers mostly, a crack on the shoulder put one of them out of action for a while, quite painful a broken collar bone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I make sure the security guard watches me out to my car in the darkened carpark at work, then I ring home as I park outside the flats and Nathan pops out to put the outside lights on for me and sees me up the stairs. I wouldn't be too scared myself to wander around but I don't like worrying my husband and Nathan so I take precautions.

So you don't carry an alarm then, Julie?

Do folks here lock themselves in the car when driving?

I have heard cases where thieves yank the car door open and whip your bag off the passenger seat if you're waiting at traffic lights or road junctions etc.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:48 PM

I don't carry an alarm but I might just get one, I guess they could be a lifesaver.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

15-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So you don't carry an alarm then, Julie?

Do folks here lock themselves in the car when driving?

I have heard cases where thieves yank the car door open and whip your bag off the passenger seat if you're waiting at traffic lights or road junctions etc.
Always a good idea but keep your drivers door unlocked.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top