Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Re: Be careful at night

Back in the 1940s the Russian Military gave similar advice to its troops

Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."
Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

Not quite relevant I know, but why not? Car doors are always locked in order to stop thieves at traffic lights. Dementia my beloved always carry’s an alarm attached to her handbag which when the handbag is snatched from her sets off an alarm
She also has a small combined kubaton and torch.
There again she never walks alone.
Be aware your surroundings , avoid dark and risky areas if possible, put your phone away. Things which I am sure you are all aware of.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So you don't carry an alarm then, Julie?

Do folks here lock themselves in the car when driving?

I have heard cases where thieves yank the car door open and whip your bag off the passenger seat if you're waiting at traffic lights or road junctions etc.
No I don't I don't really trust anyone would hear it where I am walking. Staying in sight of cameras seems better to me.

I don't lock car doors normally, I like to think I can get out if I need. I have seen too many people trapped in accidents. You have to be careful not to be too careful and lock yourself in a trap.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:20 PM

I never go out walking alone at night...when I do go out I'm picked up by car/taxi at My front door,and delivered back the same way by Family/Friends/taxi driver who wait until I'm safely inside before They drive off...I do have a key-fob which will sound an alarm when the pin is removed...never had to use it in 15 years..thank goodness.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:39 PM

When I lived in London (Ontario), I used to have to walk in the dark over a small bridge. There was a big condo on the other side and that is where I lived....it wasn't late, but in Winter it is dark early.

If I saw a man walking towards me that I felt uncomfortable about, I would wave up at the building as if someone was waiting for me, and could see me.......

Once a man actually turned around to see what I was waving at..
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you do night driving alone, Sweetie?
No, I hate driving in the dark.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:49 PM

Me too, too many shadows and reflections.
I don't mind walking at night, well I didn't til now.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 05:59 PM

Dangerous for me. Not being out in the darkness. My wife would kill me when I got home.........
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Me too, too many shadows and reflections.
I don't mind walking at night, well I didn't til now.
Things lurking too
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:06 PM

I have one but forget to take it with me.

The other day I heard this terrible noise while indoors and a knock on the door revealed my neighbour holding a shrieking alarm! Apparently she’d dropped it, so setting it off. I said I couldn’t help because of having a bad headache, asked where the pin was, or said take out the battery. She went back indoors and apparently found the pin.

Have to say, it was very loud!!!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 06:21 PM

It's a good idea to get a personal alarm, Mups, but keep a hold of it in your pocket and not in your handbag in case someone tries to snatch it.
Additionally, why not carry a little bottle of pepper srpray or even deodourant in the other pocket as well? That will put the attackers out of action while you get to the nearest house for assistance. Then call the police. Remember them?

However, your best option is not to stray into unlit or desolate areas. Walk amongst people - safety in numbers

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top