Join for free
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Re: Fiona Onasanya

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The horrifying things is that 73% thought otherwise ----
Exactly - that's quite remarkable tbh.......
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The horrifying things is that 73% thought otherwise ----
No, they didn't ..... IIUC, 73% just didn't sign the petition .....

Bear in mind that this is a new procedure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015

The Recall of MPs Act 2015 (c. 25) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that makes provision for constituents to be able to recall their Member of Parliament (MP) and call a by-election. It received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015 after being introduced on 11 September 2014.

Unlike recall procedures in some other countries, the Act does not allow constituents to initiate proceedings. Instead, proceedings are initiated only if an MP is found guilty of a wrongdoing that fulfils certain criteria. This petition is successful if at least one in ten voters in the constituency sign. Successful petitions force the recalled MP to vacate the seat, resulting in a by-election.

So far, only three petitions have been initiated:

Recall petitions made under the act

Parliament Petition MP Cause Outcome
57th 2018 North Antrim recall petition Ian Paisley Jr 30-day suspension from the House Unsuccessful

2019 Peterborough recall petition Fiona Onasanya Custodial sentence of less than a year Successful

2019 Brecon and Radnorshire recall petition Christopher Davies Conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims Pending

IIRC, Paisley's petition was signed by 9.4% of the electorate.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
No, they didn't ..... IIUC, 73% just didn't sign the petition .....

Bear in mind that this is a new procedure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015

The Recall of MPs Act 2015 (c. 25) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that makes provision for constituents to be able to recall their Member of Parliament (MP) and call a by-election. It received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015 after being introduced on 11 September 2014.

Unlike recall procedures in some other countries, the Act does not allow constituents to initiate proceedings. Instead, proceedings are initiated only if an MP is found guilty of a wrongdoing that fulfils certain criteria. This petition is successful if at least one in ten voters in the constituency sign. Successful petitions force the recalled MP to vacate the seat, resulting in a by-election.

So far, only three petitions have been initiated:

Recall petitions made under the act

Parliament Petition MP Cause Outcome
57th 2018 North Antrim recall petition Ian Paisley Jr 30-day suspension from the House Unsuccessful

2019 Peterborough recall petition Fiona Onasanya Custodial sentence of less than a year Successful

2019 Brecon and Radnorshire recall petition Christopher Davies Conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims Pending

IIRC, Paisley's petition was signed by 9.4% of the electorate.
Just like Remain voters claiming that those who couldn't be arsed getting of their backsides and voting in the EU referendum should be added to the Remain vote.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 08:35 AM

You only need 10%, they got 27%
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Hi

My view is quite simple.

MPs are not a protected species.

If I had lied in Court I would not only have been immediately sacked, I would have lost all my Pensions as well.

If you are in Public Life and taking Public Money, you have standards you must keep to.

If you do not, out you go.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Fiona Onasanya not entitled to golden goodbye payment

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...ment-1-8912090

See Attachment

I wonder if she was expecting that .....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiona Onasanya - Golden Payment.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	9478  
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My view is quite simple.

MPs are not a protected species.

If I had lied in Court I would not only have been immediately sacked, I would have lost all my Pensions as well.

If you are in Public Life and taking Public Money, you have standards you must keep to.

If you do not, out you go.

This ^^^

She sets a very poor example to young people.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Date set for by-election after MP ousted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48132982

A by-election to find a replacement for ousted MP Fiona Onasanya will be held on 6 June.

The by-election date was then announced after Labour moved a writ in Parliament on Thursday.

It remains unclear whether she will stand in the by-election, as she is permitted to do under recall rules introduced by David Cameron in 2015.
Since she only won by a margin of 607 votes last time I don't think she'll risk losing a deposit by not winning at least ⅛ (12.5%) of valid votes cast .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Fiona Onasanya not entitled to golden goodbye payment

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/...ment-1-8912090

See Attachment

I wonder if she was expecting that .....
I see from that article that she's still entitled to a pension so it would appear that cheats do actually prosper.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-05-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I see from that article that she's still entitled to a pension so it would appear that cheats do actually prosper.
Onasanya's 2 year tenure in Parliament entitles her to at least £18,000 in the pot (more according to some calculations) but how much will that generate in pension payment in 40 years time (when the retirement age will be 75?) .....

Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top