Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Re: Richard Gere

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I couldn't care less if the writer is highly thought of or not, it didn't appeal to me. The characters were just not realistic, who behaves in the ways they did? You are right of course in that the following episodes will probably reveal more but I'm not sure I am prepared to wait that long. It's a shame because there are some good actors in it.
Point out please why they were not realistic ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:08 PM

I'd agree, although it didn't detract from the watchability for me.

The wife was a strange character. Stilted communication style, bizarre thing with the overflowing bath (was anyone else wondering whether the floor had drainage?). The relationship with the homeless guy is not credible. Gere is not that well cast. He doesn't seem to be into the role. The son was the most convincing character. But very odd that he needs surgery.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The black Prime Minister for instance.
What's wrong with that ? it's a drama not a documentary so they can dream about equality and a black person being prime minister if they want. It's coming eventually anyway, generations to come aren't as bigoted as the previous ones. We already have plenty of black MPs women MPs and councils around the country are often headed by black men and women. London has a black mayor.

Nothing PC about the writing IMO
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Anyone know what surgery the son was undergoing?
I thought he'd had a stroke
Maybe it was a brain bleed?
Wasn't that his skull they were cutting into?

Edit: to accuse the bbc of being pathetically pc by including a couple of black actors is crazy!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Edit: to accuse the bbc of being pathetically pc by including a couple of black actors is crazy!
I thought a stroke or aneurysm or something as he was taking drugs could have caused his blood pressure to rise. They didn't really make it clear though.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'd agree, although it didn't detract from the watchability for me.

The wife was a strange character. Stilted communication style, bizarre thing with the overflowing bath (was anyone else wondering whether the floor had drainage?). The relationship with the homeless guy is not credible. Gere is not that well cast. He doesn't seem to be into the role. The son was the most convincing character. But very odd that he needs surgery.
Odd that he needs surgery ? For what he's suffered ? Of course he does .
This a story about cocaine induced stroke amongst other things.
What is wrong with a woman having a friendly relationship with a homeless guy ? What was strange about her ?
Gere not well cast ?
I give up !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Odd that he needs surgery ? For what he's suffered ? Of course he does .
What is wrong with a woman having a friendly relationship with a homeless guy ? What was strange about her ?
Gere not well cast ?
I give up !
It's no good arguing!!
Attitudes are so entrenched right from the first ten minutes...

The wife is a strange character.
The wife is normal and level headed and sympathetic.

Gere is miscast.
Gere is brilliant as a mogul monster.

The BBC's casting is pathetic.
The BBC's casting is spot on.

The drama is pretentious twaddle.
The drama is intriguing and draws you in.

It's marmite, I tell you!!!
Love it or hate it
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-03-2019, 04:34 PM

I thought Gere was pretty good as the mogul he had an air about him suited the part really well. The wife and the homeless man wasn't that odd although the way she conducted herself at times was a bit stilted, but that might just be part of her character.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Are you absolutely sure you know for sure and certain exactly what money can and cannot buy ?
I suppose money can buy anything, not that I would want to see anyone I love being operated on.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Why not a Chinese PM in that case?

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top