Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 12:50 PM

The Handmaid's Tale

I have started watching the yank series "The Handmaid's Tale" and it looks very good. It is based on the book by Margaret Atwood - not a book I have read but I now have the audio book to listen to in the car during my next travel epic.

I understand it is being shown here on SBS on Demand ie free streaming rather than free to air TV.

The story

In the near future, fertility rates collapse as a result of sexually transmitted diseases and environmental pollution.[1] With this chaos in place, the totalitarian, Christian theonomic government of "Gilead" establishes rule in the former United States in the aftermath of a civil war. Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly-created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, control money, or read. Worldwide infertility has resulted in the conscription of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead, called handmaids, according to an "extremist interpretation" of a Biblical account.[4] They are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape with their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives
As I say it looks pretty good so far. Anybody else watched it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

It's good if a tad weird .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 05:30 AM

Just finished the first series - the ending cried out for Series 2.

I read that there is to be a second series of 13 episodes that starts filming soon for broadcast next year. Can't wait
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 11:57 PM

I liked the 90s film with Natasha Richardson and Aiden Quinn (swoon). I don't like this series too much because it's too grotesque, departs too much from the book (mainly in the grotesque bits) and there is no chemistry between the main characters. I love Elisabeth Moss but she is not so suited to this role. She was fabulous as Peggy in Mad men. The commander's wife is too attractive and young (she is supposed to be a retired actress or singer). Janine's character is totally fabricated and the whole thing doesn't gel vs the book and film. The book didn't tally with the original film because it would not have been hollywood enough. But this is too gritty, too painful and too creepy. They are stretching out the story. The eye for an eye and lesbian circumcision thing was too much for my stomach and the way the handmaids are able to talk to each other so openly in public just doesn't tie in with the culture of distrust and fear in the book. I guess when you transition to small screen you have to sacrifice integrity for viewing figures. But then you lose quality and respect.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Not seen it but have read the book, I'm not sure I'd want to see it on screen now as the book was so well done I'd be disappointed I think.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 09:27 AM

I haven't watched it yet, I have a pal who tells me it's great and just my thing. Will give it a try.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 11:45 PM

I must say, I'm finding the third series really rather underwhelming. It seems to be running out of story lines, and just floundering about the place.The Elizabeth Moss character wanders around everywhere, doing her thing, like an accepted member of the hated ruling class. Commander Lawrence is likewise, pretty unbelievable as a benign liberal. Shades of the Meetoo movement? I just hope this is the last series.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Last night’s episode brought in those in Canada tho , now showing what lengths Fred will go to , an attempt at patching up his marriage by trying to prove Nicole is a Waterford and himself redeemed of abusing Serena?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not seen it but have read the book, I'm not sure I'd want to see it on screen now as the book was so well done I'd be disappointed I think.
I am the same, I can't quite imagine it as a film - it's a really well constructed book which I read several years ago and also taught to A level students. Margaret Atwood is one of my favourite writers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 05:26 PM

The series is nothing like the book. The 90s film was clier in that respect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top