Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 12:42 PM

American Style Fridge Freezers. Yes or No?

Morning all. Well, after 12 years I finally have to bid farewell to my trusty old Fridge/Freezer as it is proving uneconomical to have repaired. It really has stood us in good stead all of these years, but it is time for it to go.

I must say, I really love the look of the American Style Fridge/Freezers which are proving very popular at the moment, my heart is telling me, go on, go for it, spoil yourselves, but my head is saying...WHAT! At that price you could buy 3 of the one I currently have!! my goodness, they do look fabulous though What with all that space in the fridge and the freezer, plus the luxury of having an automatic ice dispenser! Who wouldn’t love one? It’s just the price that makes me gulp with guilt. Maybe if there were still eight of us at home, but two of us?
Sooooo tempted though.

Has anyone on here got an American Style Fridge Freezer? If so, do you love it, are they as fabulous to have as they look? (oh to not have to practically stand on the frozen peas to get the drawer closed would be so nice. LOL)
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:14 PM

Re: American Style Fridge Freezers. Yes or No?

My ex-boss had one. Complete pain to clean, all the drawers and plastic holders in the fridge door broke and the ice maker stopped working, a problem that even the manufacturer hasn't been able to solve.

However.....that family have no idea how to look after stuff and it was/is subject to a lot of abuse.

Personally I don't have the room, that's my excuse anyway
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:37 PM

A bit big for my kitchen but I wouldn't have one in any case, a bit dear to run and they need to be plumbed into a water supply for the cold water/ice dispenser. Easier to put bottles of water in the fridge section and bought ice cubes in the freezer.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:41 PM

We have both an American Style fridge and freezer, with which we are satisfied.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:43 PM

I wouldn't have one tbh but thats only because of our lifestyle

I scratch cook so buy very little in the way of processed foods that need refrigerating and mum just fills the fridge with jars of stuff as you can see

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Not for me, dont have the need for the amount of food it stores, costly to run i guess.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 02:21 PM

I've used one when we were in Florida, it's huge and as well as we would never be able to fill it with food, it wouldn't fit into our kitchen.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 02:33 PM

It might not surprise you to know that I have one .

Mine is a French door style - two doors that open towards you at the top, freezer drawer at the bottom.

Water dispenser is inside that filters and chills the water, and the freezer has an ice maker.

It has a few extra conveniences like a colder section for dairy, and humidity and temp sections for cheeses, wine, and produce.

I could access water and ice in the last fridge I had from the exterior side of the door.

If you do get American fridge, it's a matter of preference. The freezer on top is easier to clean, but the freezer on the bottom makes the fridge section (which I user much more often) easier to access.

All-in-all, most of the bells and whistlers are not that necessary, but I am so accustomed to the size, I am not sure I could do without it.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 04:15 PM

I like the American side by side fridge freezers and my daughter has one. I have integrated everything and so have an integrated fridge freezer (fridge on top) which never needs de-frosting. If I had thought a bit I would have liked an American Fridge freezer and I am sure I would fill it. As it is we have another large fridge freezer in the garage as well as a tall upright freezer, so you could say we are all "freezered up" - and they are all full.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 05:22 PM

My pal got one a few weeks ago, massive thing, double doors and two very deep freezer drawers on the bottom. It's around 6ft in hight and I love it but we'd have to alter the kitchen if we wanted one, and as we got a new kitchen a year ago I can't see Himself being too chuffed if he had to start work in there again..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top