Join for free
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Containers.

I really want to get organised this year,and grow my own veg,I have a decking area,which I can stand containers on,it only gets the sun,very early in the morning,any ideas what I could grow in them,...I couldn't believe in Wilkos,they have all the seed out,...and just another question,would I have to start them off indoors?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Re: Containers.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I really want to get organised this year,and grow my own veg,I have a decking area,which I can stand containers on,it only gets the sun,very early in the morning,any ideas what I could grow in them,...I couldn't believe in Wilkos,they have all the seed out,...and just another question,would I have to start them off indoors?

This depends a lot of what you like to eat, Pauline, and also what sort of 'containers' you mean?

Are you talking about raised beds, or grow bags, or pots and tubs, hessian sacks etc?

A few suggestions that might suit you are:

Runner beans, French beans, new potatoes, radishes, dwarf fruit trees, srawberries, cut-and-come-again salad leaves, outdoor tomatoes, and loads of flowers.
There are many more crops too, but like I said, it depends what you like to eat.

Have a look at this, it might give you some more ideas:

http://theselfsufficientliving.com/v...ainer-or-pots/

One thing to remember though, is because the roots are confined within containers, they don't have a natural supply of nourishment and water, so they are dependent on you for all their needs.
Nutrients in container compost soon get used up, so you will need to feed and water more than you would in open ground.
Also worth bearing in mind, is I personally, would not grow the same crop in the same container every year, I'd rotate them.

Have fun.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Thank you for that information,Mups,I really appreciate it,...those 15 vegetables that will grow in containers,is great,I will have a good read of that,..I think it will have to be containers,being as its on decking,I can buy those wheels that fit under them,just so they aren't in the same spot for too long,I'm really looking forward,to growing my own veg,there is nothing like it,thanks again Mups.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 09:31 AM

Something else which i have found useful is try to water with rainwater which means having water butts where possible. More nutrients in rainwater..Too many damaging chemicals in tapwater.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

18-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Something else which i have found useful is try to water with rainwater which means having water butts where possible. More nutrients in rainwater..Too many damaging chemicals in tapwater.

Absolutely agree on that,EZ.Rider,I bought a water butt especially for my bedding plants,last year,only this year I will use it for my Vegetables as well.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 02:31 PM

All good Pauline. I have around two dozen containers around my bungalow and I have five large water butts attached to downpipes from the bungalow and also the stables and I still ran out of water last summer during the long hot spell.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

18-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
All good Pauline. I have around two dozen containers around my bungalow and I have five large water butts attached to downpipes from the bungalow and also the stables and I still ran out of water last summer during the long hot spell.

I know what you mean,I believe that,as I did the same last year,..I have a very small garden can only fit in a small water butt,..I will just have a few containers,..do you grow vegetables?..I would like to grow some new potatoes and tomatoes.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Hi Pauline. No veggies these days, just tomatoes. I found the bugs and crawlies were getting more to eat than i was! I never use chemical bug killers. I would hate the thought of birds dying from poisoning. I have three inquisitive dogs too.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top