Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 12:22 AM

Re: How Tall!.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have just read through this thread & was amazed that anybody wants to make a fuss about whether measurements are Imperial or Metric.

Back in 1971 currency went decimal and people soon learned the new currency....because they had to & the government offered lots of help to do so.

With weights & measures the government realized that they didn't need to invest so much to help people convert, as people could work it out for themselves......you couldn't do that so easily when paying for goods!
That's the problem. Britain allowed the two systems to run side by side so there was no need to learn the new system.

In Australia when they went metric they immediately stopped all references to the old system even going so far as to ban the import of rulers with imperial measurements. On the nightly news the weather forecast was only in Celsius and mm, road signs were changed to km and speed limits to kph etc (thank god we don't have those daft speedos with both kph AND mph).

That worked, so it didn't matter what you learned at school you soon became familiar with the metric system because there was no alternative.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's the problem. Britain allowed the two systems to run side by side so there was no need to learn the new system.

In Australia when they went metric they immediately stopped all references to the old system even going so far as to ban the import of rulers with imperial measurements. On the nightly news the weather forecast was only in Celsius and mm, road signs were changed to km and speed limits to kph etc (thank god we don't have those daft speedos with both kph AND mph).

That worked, so it didn't matter what you learned at school you soon became familiar with the metric system because there was no alternative.

You may be right Bruce, but we didn't! This is an older persons forum and most of us have used Imperial measures all of our lives, so I just don't see the reason for anybody to criticize!
Our heights aren't hardly life & death statistics are they?
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 08:30 AM

I always thought I was 5.6 , however I was measured at the doctors surgery a month ago I was 5.7 No it’s to late to change so I’m staying with 5.6 Mr Ripple 6.1
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
You may be right Bruce, but we didn't! This is an older persons forum and most of us have used Imperial measures all of our lives, so I just don't see the reason for anybody to criticize!
Our heights aren't hardly life & death statistics are they?
You seem to have forgotten that I was not the one complaining it was the imperial luddites complaining en masse however my last post means that you are now better informed.

Personally I don't care if you use cubits or knotted pieces of wet string, metric is so much easier.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:40 AM

You seem to have forgotten that I was not the one complaining it was the imperial luddites complaining en masse however my last post means that you are now better informed.

No. It wasn't the Imperial people complaining at all Bruce.
If you read the whole thread it was Besoeker complaining.
We were/are quite happy as we are thankyou.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Oddly, or perhaps because of the USA, British Golf Courses, are still measured in Imperial.

If they ever get round to changing that, I may have to buy a set of metric golf clubs instead of the ones I have.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Oddly, or perhaps because of the USA, British Golf Courses, are still measured in Imperial.

If they ever get round to changing that, I may have to buy a set of metric golf clubs instead of the ones I have.

We still have 30 mph or 70 mph speed limits too, not in kilometres thank goodness.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:52 AM

The government of the day would have had their own agenda (probably money orientated) and didn't consider the working classes. They still don't.....

So it's not our fault Bruce, it is what it is......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

27-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Of Course, it's what we were taught at school. as far as I'm concerned it's the correct way. My young Vet gets all grrrrr with me if she weighs Dageus and I always ask her...…."what's that in proper weights" She has to get the calculator out.
Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I was also taught Ft and inches,..the only time I don't is when I cook,as all the recipes are in Kg and grams,..I prefer lbs and ounces,I know when they used to weigh me at the gym,..I wanted to know what it was in stones and ounces,they had to go and look it up.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
No. It is not a serious tolpic at all. Give it up.

It was a simple question asking how tall we are.

Hardly rocket science. And I for one, will thank you to not tell me whether I can use feet and inches or not. Bloody cheek.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Haha. Mrs LD was buying shoes yesterday and I was complaining (quite loudly) that the sizes were in foreign only.
Just because some Eurotwats decided to change everything we learnt at school doesn't mean it's right.
Exactly! What the hell does that mean? When they mould the number into the sole, why not mould the imperial equivalent as well. that would save having to put conversion signs up in the shop.
Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I don't do metric for anything, luckily my tape measures/rulers are in both metric & imperial.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
No. It wasn't the Imperial people complaining at all Bruce.
If you read the whole thread it was Besoeker complaining.
We were/are quite happy as we are thankyou.
Ya reckon?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Hey Foxy, I'd love it if we dropped all these metric things if/when we leave Brexit.

Bruce, you are obviously not seeing what I am seeing, so we'd best leave it at that.

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top