Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Re: Greta Thunberg

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Most aircraft with empty seats have cargo added to make most efficient use of flying hours and fuel.
If fender had been able cut the mustard as a commercial airline pilot he would have been suitable to advise on that!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
If fender had been able cut the mustard as a commercial airline pilot he would have been suitable to advise on that!
Didn't I tell you once before that I didn't even get into it?
I fell into another trade.

Anyways, afaik - it's not always true that a lack of passengers is made up by taking cargo. It comes down to timing, and more often than not, once a lack of passengers is known, it's too late to make arrangements for cargo instead.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Hope you enjoy your holiday, OGF. Are you going on the Iona maiden voyage next May (I think) to the Fjords ? Largest built for the UK market (in Germany) .
Over 5000 passengers so goodness knows how many crew ! Probably another 2000 plus.
Unfortunately I shudder to think what cruising would be like on such a large ship Puddle Duck. I do prefer P&O's smaller ships, and in July we will be sailing to Iceland for two weeks on the Oriana which will be taken out of service later this year, hopefully after we have returned......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The protests may have many genuine supporters but they are part of a wider anarchic/ Marxist rebellion. Momentum have added their support. So while deniers have one corrupt agenda protestors have another. Nothing is ever as it seems. Either way we are being sold a pup.
Yes Annie...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I believe that the protests taking place now and into the future are intended to raise awareness of the general public just how extreme, important, and urgent that steps that are needed should have started years ago.

Judging from most of the comments made here the extent of the won't and/or can't accept that what is happening is at the very least being VERY adversely affected by our way of life.

Similar protests and demonstrations are taking place in an increasing
number of countries.

As a matter of interest China is also working towards polution reduction.
They don't need to raise awareness Todger, the BBC ram it down our throat at every available opportunity. Most average people in this country are doing their best to recycle waste, prevent pollution and install solar panels on their houses.
The general public are doing their best but are being overloaded with all this 'Saving the Planet' stuff, and causing disruption in our cities is not the best way to help the cause.

The Chinese and USA are making token gestures creating the illusion that they are changing their habits, but they still are biggest uses of fossil fuel by far and anything we do here pales into insignificance compared to them.

Look here and tell me that the UK can make difference.....
And China seem to be increasing their reliance on coal.....
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...worldwide.html
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They don't need to raise awareness Todger, the BBC ram it down our throat at every available opportunity. Most average people in this country are doing their best to recycle waste, prevent pollution and install solar panels on their houses.
The general public are doing their best but are being overloaded with all this 'Saving the Planet' stuff, and causing disruption in our cities is not the best way to help the cause.

The Chinese and USA are making token gestures creating the illusion that they are changing their habits, but they still are biggest uses of fossil fuel by far and anything we do here pales into insignificance compared to them.

Look here and tell me that the UK can make difference.....
And China seem to be increasing their reliance on coal.....
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...worldwide.html
It's not just the use of fossil fuel, it's all forms of polution that must be addressed.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Oops ...

I read this a while ago so had a hunt around and managed to find it again. Seems like crap maths is not exclusive to Diane Abbott....

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...study-debunked
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Oops ...

I read this a while ago so had a hunt around and managed to find it again. Seems like crap maths is not exclusive to Diane Abbott....

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...study-debunked
The bottom line is that the degree of uncertainty being suggested here is the rate that the oceans are absorbing and not that global warming is taking place or not.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Didn't I tell you once before that I didn't even get into it?
I fell into another trade.

Anyways, afaik - it's not always true that a lack of passengers is made up by taking cargo. It comes down to timing, and more often than not, once a lack of passengers is known, it's too late to make arrangements for cargo instead.
I bow to your superior knowledge.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
I bow to your superior knowledge.
Very wise - thanks!

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top