Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Forks

I've just been listening to a really good short programme about the origin and history of forks.

Part of the programme went into the difference that the type of metal used makes to the taste of the food.

Copper or zinc spoons and forks are bitter to the taste, and so affect how you taste food. Rather surprisingly, they can make sweet foods taste sweeter, probably due to the contrast of tastes in the mouth.

Stainless steel and chrome have far less effect on the taste of food, which is why they are the metals of choice for cutlery, as well as the lack of rusting.

I must admit, I had noticed a difference in the taste of old cutlery where, say, the chrome plating was wearing off. Several items of cutlery have been relegated to the tool drawer due to the fact that they taste a bit unpleasant.

Some people advocate pairing different metals to different types of food, as they can enhance one's eating experience!

However, the only metal that gives off no additional flavour in our mouths is.............. 24 carat gold!
That is one reason why it is, apparently, a joy to eat with gold-plated cutlery.
I wouldn't know.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 05:52 AM

Re: Forks

What an interesting post, Pyxell, I have never stopped to consider that different metals could affect the taste of food.

Most of my cutlery is stainless steel. I have a small, pearl handled, silver butter knife, a couple of silver salt spoons and sugar tongs - all that was left of my Grandma's silver when the burglars had been in!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What an interesting post, Pyxell, I have never stopped to consider that different metals could affect the taste of food.

Most of my cutlery is stainless steel. I have a small, pearl handled, silver butter knife, a couple of silver salt spoons and sugar tongs - all that was left of my Grandma's silver when the burglars had been in!
Aw what a shame!

Silver cutlery looks so beautiful on the table. I'd hate the cleaning of it, though.
Imagine the taste left by traces of silver polish!

Yes, it was interesting hearing about the taste of metal, but makes perfect sense when you think about it!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 07:59 AM

I listened to that programme too, and it was interesting how forks developed and which metals influence the taste of foods. Such a simple invention that we all take for granted.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:10 AM

One thing I do remember Grandma saying was - never to eat a boiled egg with a silver spoon. Not because it did anything to the egg - but because it turned the spoon black!!
Pyxell
South of England

20-06-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One thing I do remember Grandma saying was - never to eat a boiled egg with a silver spoon. Not because it did anything to the egg - but because it turned the spoon black!!
Yes, that's right! I remember that! The sulphur, I suppose?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Thoroughly interesting and mystifying that for for almost 1500 years western civilization was holding their meat down with a spoon and chasing it around the plate while trying to cut it, while across the table Byzantium was happily cutting, spearing their bites, and reaching for seconds.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Thoroughly interesting and mystifying that for for almost 1500 years western civilization was holding their meat down with a spoon and chasing it around the plate while trying to cut it, while across the table Byzantium was happily cutting, spearing their bites, and reaching for seconds.

Cave men just grabbed it in both hands & chomped on it.
Pyxell
South of England

21-06-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Cave men just grabbed it in both hands & chomped on it.

The programme was very short, so didn't go into a lot of detail, but a few facts did emerge, which were interesting........

Yes... meals were eaten with fingers and a knife.
The knife was problematical, as it could have been used to assassinate the Lord of the Manor, etc.
That was the reason why knives at the table eventually became rounded at the tip.

Forks were first discovered in China about a thousand or so years ago. What is surprising, though, is that forks there were eventually ditched in favour of chopsticks.

Henry II was introduced to forks .......I remember reading that in "Murder In The Cathedral" when at school.
Originally, forks were two-pronged, curved, and used to stabilise joints while carving.

Forks really came into their own in Italy when spaghetti became popular. Originally one prong only, for twirling, they developed two, then three, then four prongs.

Forks didn't really take off in England until the late 18thC.
Before that, they were laughed at as being effeminate or pretentious.

When they did take off, it was a result of the new fashion for table manners, and for keeping your hands grease-free, plus the new, round-tipped knife stopped you being stabbed!

They also touched on the difference between the American and British usage of the fork, although the reason for the difference wasn't really explained.

It seems obvious to us that a fork is a must, but it's a relatively recent addition to tables! Surprising!

Who would have thought that the simple fork tells us so much about history and mindsets!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->

The programme was very short, so didn't go into a lot of detail, but a few facts did emerge, which were interesting........

Yes... meals were eaten with fingers and a knife.
The knife was problematical, as it could have been used to assassinate the Lord of the Manor, etc.
That was the reason why knives at the table eventually became rounded at the tip.

Forks were first discovered in China about a thousand or so years ago. What is surprising, though, is that forks there were eventually ditched in favour of chopsticks.

Henry II was introduced to forks .......I remember reading that in "Murder In The Cathedral" when at school.
Originally, forks were two-pronged, curved, and used to stabilise joints while carving.

Forks really came into their own in Italy when spaghetti became popular. Originally one prong only, for twirling, they developed two, then three, then four prongs.

Forks didn't really take off in England until the late 18thC.
Before that, they were laughed at as being effeminate or pretentious.

When they did take off, it was a result of the new fashion for table manners, and for keeping your hands grease-free, plus the new, round-tipped knife stopped you being stabbed!

They also touched on the difference between the American and British usage of the fork, although the reason for the difference wasn't really explained.

It seems obvious to us that a fork is a must, but it's a relatively recent addition to tables! Surprising!

Who would have thought that the simple fork tells us so much about history and mindsets!

Thank you, Pyxell. Sounds like a fascinating programme.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top