Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Re: Can someone please help?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Try using Freemake, it is excellent and it is free.

https://www.freemake.com/downloads/

There is a version especially for downloading Youtube videos but personally I would recommend the Video Converter because it does so much more as well.

All you do is go to the video you want click on "Share", copy the offered link then in Freemake click on "Paste URL". Finally you choose the format you want to save it in (I prefer MP4 but if you only want the music select MP3) and off it goes.

Easy as...

Freemake is not actually free, it is a restricted program that offers only limited functionality. If you want the full features that make it a good program then you have to pay either a monthly subscription service or a one of payment off approx £46

To be honest though, this is an easy program to use for just YT videos. If you wanted to use it for downloading movies off some sites then it's no good but just for YT, it is a great program.

Due to the price and it's limited ability to download videos off movie sites is why i opted for Internet Download Manger. It's only £20 and does so much better at grabbing videos off websites.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Freemake is not actually free, it is a restricted program that offers only limited functionality. If you want the full features that make it a good program then you have to pay either a monthly subscription service or a one of payment off approx £46

To be honest though, this is an easy program to use for just YT videos. If you wanted to use it for downloading movies off some sites then it's no good but just for YT, it is a great program.

Due to the price and it's limited ability to download videos off movie sites is why i opted for Internet Download Manger. It's only £20 and does so much better at grabbing videos off websites.
That's not entirely true - the functionality is not restricted in any major way that I am aware of - you can buy a Gold pack for about $19 (£10) which gives you additional features such as removing black bars and ripping to MP3.

The only thing I know of with the free version is that it adds a logo onto the end - which can be stopped by deleting the directory that the logo is stored in (or adding your own).

(C:\Program Files (x86)\Freemake\Freemake Video Converter\FMCommon\ConverterCommon\Resources\Image sBranding)

Are you sure you are talking about the same program?

From the website:

Freemake has provided high quality freeware to over 180 million users worldwide since 2010. Safe & reliable free software without registration, time limitations, or hidden costs. Download and use our free Video Converter, Video Downloader, YouTube Converter, Audio Converter and Free Music Player!
I have been using it since it first came out.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's not entirely true - the functionality is not restricted in any major way that I am aware of - you can buy a Gold pack for about $19 (£10) which gives you additional features such as removing black bars and ripping to MP3.

The only thing I know of with the free version is that it adds a logo onto the end - which can be stopped by deleting the directory that the logo is stored in (or adding your own).

(C:\Program Files (x86)\Freemake\Freemake Video Converter\FMCommon\ConverterCommon\Resources\Image sBranding)

Are you sure you are talking about the same program?

From the website:

I have been using it since it first came out.
Yes, i used the program you linked to. I used it a few months ago to see if it was a worthwhile replacement for IDM (Internet Download Manager).

When you paste a file, a popup states that the program is limited to 3 mins video files. It puts a promo splash screen at the start and end of the video, and it encodes a 'made with freemake' in the top right hand corner of the screen.

If you want to remove the'branding' as they call it, you have to pay for a license and popup screen gives you the payment plans $7 a month, $4 a month for 6 month subscription or a one off unlimited licence for $56 (all prices are approximate, i forget there actual prices).
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Doesn't seem to be free any more. I click on paste url and end up with this

Dodge
Kent, UK

23-06-2019, 12:08 PM

I see where the difference in costs are, Bruce is using Freemake Video Convertor, i downloaded and used Freemake Video Downloader. They each have different payment costs.

As the OP's post was specifically related to downloading YT videos, i downloaded Freemake Video Downloader
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Most people want the video from youtube as well as the music. But just in case you are happy with just the audio and you have an audio recorder - preferably a digital one that records MP3 - All you need to do is run a line from the audio output of your PC to your recorder and you get high quality recordings that you can transfer to your PC, phone or burn to a CD. Sure you don't get the pictures but you have the audio to store and as long as you like without going onto the internet. You can do the same with Spotify. Just keep them all for your personal use only. Don't share them with anyone else. Illegal here and I'm sure everywhere else.
I use this: https://download.cnet.com/Audacity/3...-10058117.html

It captures and records any audio being fed to your speakers and you can then save the audio file as an MP3. I've used it to record radio programmes from the B*C (don't tell Auntie ). Not only that, you can also use it edit the MP3s created and cut selected parts. Ring tones anyone?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Doesn't seem to be free any more. I click on paste url and end up with this

Gosh I am amazed - that is a very recent addition because I bought a gold pack for my travel Laptop (within the last fortnight) they have always given a price and then offered a discount as long as I can remember:

I have never seen the pop ups for a subscription. I usually pay the money because I think it is worth supporting these programmers and so cheap. (perhaps no longer)

The subscription wasn't there even three weeks ago.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.06.23_21h07m24s_002_.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	9972  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

23-06-2019, 01:01 PM

I should add that I have had a key for the Freemake version on my desktop virtually since it first came out (on second thoughts maybe a year later) and I think it was $5.

On my laptops over time I have used Freemake for years without paying anything because they were used so rarely until, as I say, about a fortnight ago when I decided to add the gold pack to my laptop as a matter of fairness because I was using that machine a lot more. Until then there had been no branding only the addition of the name at the end which I had removed.

This Freemake subscription business must have only just occurred because I have never seen either it or branding in a video. Frankly I am a bit disappointed because Freemake was always fully functional and I subscribed out of loyalty to a reliable and much used piece of software. I never subscribe to crippled freeware.

Personally I do tcontribute to things such as Wikipedia but also to open source software that I use a lot eg Thunderbird because they do such a good job for apparently no reward or advertising.

As I say I am very disappointed about this development. On the bright side with the key they sent me was an offer of licences for all the other Freemake software for a one off payment of $19 but I doubt I will take that up as Freemake converter does everything I need.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Win10 triumphs again.
I know LD. I am so annoyed with Microsoft.

Since retiring, HWMO obviously no longer has his work phone and tablet, my mobile also needed a bit of an update too.
Now, at our age, all we need our phones for is to make and receive calls, and to send and receive secure messages and free media on WhatsApp.

We opted for two, Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 from EBay using Windows.
Perfectly adequate for us and so easy to use, our intention being that we will probably wear out before they do!!

What exciting message do we then receive from Microsoft yesterday? "As from 31st December 2019, Microsoft will no longer give support to the WhatsApp OS. Therefore WhatsApp will no longer be available on Windows phones".
We suggest you upgrade to.....etc etc

Arrghh! We only ever use WhatsApp for all communication with everyone. To send or even receive Media on ordinary Windows messages was costing 50p every time, and that was to receive them as well as send them. I had to inform all family and friend not to send media. Then of course, we were blessed with WhatsApp with free media and secure connection. Now the beggars are taking it from us!!

So annoyed for both of us and anyone else who has a Windows phone.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

23-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know LD. I am so annoyed with Microsoft.

Since retiring, HWMO obviously no longer has his work phone and tablet, my mobile also needed a bit of an update too.
Now, at our age, all we need our phones for is to make and receive calls, and to send and receive secure messages and free media on WhatsApp.

We opted for two, Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 from EBay using Windows.
Perfectly adequate for us and so easy to use, our intention being that we will probably wear out before they do!!

What exciting message do we then receive from Microsoft yesterday? "As from 31st December 2019, Microsoft will no longer give support to the WhatsApp OS. Therefore WhatsApp will no longer be available on Windows phones".
We suggest you upgrade to.....etc etc

Arrghh! We only ever use WhatsApp for all communication with everyone. To send or even receive Media on ordinary Windows messages was costing 50p every time, and that was to receive them as well as send them. I had to inform all family and friend not to send media. Then of course, we were blessed with WhatsApp with free media and secure connection. Now the beggars are taking it from us!!

So annoyed for both of us and anyone else who has a Windows phone.

Thank gawd for Android

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top