Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 05:47 AM

Classic Shell to Open Shell

Many people like the look and feel of the old windows menus up to WIN 7. I am one of them and I have been using Classic Shell to recreate the look and feel of the WIN7 Start Menu.

Since upgrading to Windows Version 1903 I have had a message saying that upgrading Classic Shell was banned by the Administrator. It still worked fine because development has ceased.

This happened some years ago too and basically what it means is that the digital certificate is out of date and usually it is just a matter of ugrading to the latest version.

Unfortunately, as I reported elsewhere, Classic Shell is no longer being developed, fortunately the developer released the source code and it is still being developed as open source software - renamed Open Shell.

I downloaded the latest stable release, installed it and it seems to be working fine. Whether the warning comes up again only time will tell.

If you have Windows 10 and prefer the start menu from earlier Window's days then this is for you. The normal Windows 10 start menu is still only one click away if you need it.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-S...s/tag/v4.4.131

BTW it works with the older versions of Classic Shell and uses your presets.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top