Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2019, 12:22 AM

Re: Sinusitis

Once she finishes her antibiotics its highly recommended to replenish the healthy gut bacteria with probiotics. Very important.

Some people have success with warm water and apple cider vinegar. It increases blood flood to the sinuses and helps clear them

Steaming her face with over a bowl of hot water with some Vic’s vapour rub melted in or peppermint or tea tree oil will help. Put a towel over her head.

Doctor monitoring is definitely recommended. Swollen infected sinuses are horrible.
sande
New Member!
United Kingdom
sande is male 

11-07-2019, 02:06 PM

An update - following a visit to local optometrist, my wife was referred to eye hospital yesterday where after examination she was diagnosed with shingles around eye, face and scalp. She has been given aciclovir tablets and fusidic acid eye drops and is to return in a week's time for monitoring.

Finding out what was really wrong has been great.

Many thanks for all your help in the interim.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Fusidic eye drops are strong, very much a step up from Chloramphenicol used for pink eye type infections. We call them "F*ck it" eye drops !! They are like a creamy gel almost and the taste once it get's through your eye ducts and down your throat is disgusting imho.

Has she been in contact with another Shingles sufferer?

Or is she simply someone who previously had Chicken Pox?

The good news is once she recovers she will have long term immunity to Shingles. She is in a tiny minority of people that actually contract Shingles. There are approx 50,000 cases reported each year in the UK, a country with 66 million people, of which some 12 million are aged 70+.

She's unlucky, but there it is.

Hope she recovers swiftly.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sande ->
An update - following a visit to local optometrist, my wife was referred to eye hospital yesterday where after examination she was diagnosed with shingles around eye, face and scalp. She has been given aciclovir tablets and fusidic acid eye drops and is to return in a week's time for monitoring.

I'm pleased to hear your wife has had a diagnosis at last Stuart, I hope she will heal well and feel more comfortable very soon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Sande, if her nose feels blocked, has anyone yet suggested she try the salt nasal flushes? It only takes a few minutes, and works for me.

Have a read:

Nasal rinses

Sometimes, rinsing your nasal passages with a salt water solution can be helpful. This is known as nasal irrigation or nasal douching.

Rinsing your nasal passages helps wash away any excess mucus or irritants inside your nose, which can reduce inflammation and relieve your symptoms.

Nasal irrigation can be done using either a homemade salt water solution or a solution made with sachets of ingredients bought from a pharmacy. Small syringes or pots (which often look like small horns or teapots) are also available to help flush the solution around the inside of your nose.

To make the solution at home, mix a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into a pint of boiled water that's been left to cool to around body temperature (do not attempt to rinse your nose while the water is still hot).

You will probably only use a small amount of the solution. Throw away whatever is left.

To rinse your nose:

standing over a sink, cup the palm of one hand and pour a small amount of the solution into it
sniff the water into one nostril at a time – an alternative is to use a syringe to insert the solution into the nose
repeat this until your nose feels comfortable (you may not need to use all of the solution)

While you do this, some solution may pass into your throat through the back of your nose. Although the solution is harmless if swallowed, try to spit out as much of it as possible.

You can carry out nasal irrigation several times a day. Make a fresh salt water solution each time.

I do this whenever I am starting a cold or feel a bit clogged and it always works for me.

I have the bought kit though, I don't sniff it from my hand like they suggested above, I think that's daft and nowhere near as efficient.

This is what I use, but you can get bigger packs if needed.
This one is only a starter kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-Sin...c=1&th=1&psc=1

Good luck.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Fusidic eye drops are strong, very much a step up from Chloramphenicol used for pink eye type infections. We call them "F*ck it" eye drops !! They are like a creamy gel almost and the taste once it get's through your eye ducts and down your throat is disgusting imho.

Has she been in contact with another Shingles sufferer?

Got to disagree there, Realist.
I have been given Fusidic eye ointment several times, and I have found it it brilliant.

Other than it sometimes stings for about 10 seconds when it touches the eye, there are no other problems whatsoever, no bad taste - nothing. I have never once felt or tasted it in my throat, so I don't know what you've been doing with it.

It does it's job and clears up any trouble very quickly.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 07:20 PM

Pleased a correct diagnosis has been given . I don’t think much of the knowledge of the doctor who gave the initial one!
I’m given to understand this is a very painful place for shingles to attack and recovery isn’t swift .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 08:45 PM

I've had shingles in the eye and went through 11 months of treatment under Moorfields eye hospital. The pain was incredible.

I wish your wife a speedy recovery and am sending healing hugs. x
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 09:40 PM

So sorry that she has something so painful and distressing but it's great that you saw an optometrist and were referred so quickly and that she is now receiving the care she needs. All the best for her recovery.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So sorry that she has something so painful and distressing but it's great that you saw an optometrist and were referred so quickly and that she is now receiving the care she needs. All the best for her recovery.
Agree. An appropriate diagnosis is excellent.
I wish her a speedy recovery.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top