Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 07:49 PM

Re: Are Nursing Agencies fleecing the NHS?

Hi

I never went out with Florence Nightingale.

The Nurse disappeared off the scene in early 2014, she wasn't the only one doing this either, some of her friends were as well.

I have no idea what was in their Contracts, I just know what they were doing.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 07:55 PM

Plenty of NHS nurses don't ever work for agencies . I was fortunate the hours they gave me suited me . It's certainly not about having a foot in both camps .
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 08:24 PM

I still blame Thatcher. Sod the public sector let`s pay a fortune to `agencies`
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
The nuses I knew who did agency work did it because they couldn't get their contracted hours increased . This is the option they would have preferred . However if the choice was either extra hours at work or extra hours paying more via an agency then who could blame them for taking the option that payed more .
It's not agency nurses who are fleecing the NHS but the agencies .
This is nothing new it's been going on for years .
I would say that is correct Abbey I worked as an Auxiliary night nurse for an agency covering various nursing homes and I worked with many NHS nurses . They were given contracted hours by the NHS but often it didn't provide a large enough income so they signed up with Agencies to get extra hours covering for absent staff in both nursing homes and hospitals .

Also, no matter how many nurses are employed by the NHS they are always going to need some people to cover for holidays and illness.
Most nursing homes operate a 'bank' system, a pool of people who can be called on at short notice to cover for some of the staff illness or staff holidays (often people who don't want to take on permanent hours but may be available to fill in occasionally).

The NHS doesn't seem to operate a bank so any time nurses are ill or on holiday they have to call in Agency staff.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 11:40 PM

I need more info: £2000 per shift - £3000 per shift - £150 per hour? Hang on but how many agency nurses are we talking about here? Presumably quite a few were employed at the same time?
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 11:53 PM

We have agency nurses caring for my husband. They are Intensive Care Nurse and as well as doing community work they work in hospitals. We have one nurse for the day and one for the night. Some fit in extra shifts in addition to their NHS shifts but a great number of them have actually reduced their hospital shifts to take on more agency work. Others do agency work only. Incidentally they cannot do agency work in their own hospital but can do it at the hospital down the road. It is a quite bizarre situation. The agency we have gave the NHS a 60 million bill last year. There is another reason why some still keep on their hospital hours as well as agency work. Agency work isn't recognised by mortgage companies therefore an NHS salary is essential if they plan to buy a property. Over 4 years of having these nurses, on and off, we have a great insight into the operation of agency nurses. They are paid astronomical amounts, have their travel expenses paid and even hotel accomodation. We live in Hampshire and have had nurses travelling from place such as Preston, Swansea, Leicester and regularily from Bristol. If agencies are going to pay these high wages and the hospitals are being held to ransom to pay their fees, then who can blame nurses for taking advantage of agency work. I am not saying any of these nurses are not caring but if there is more money to be had, who would refuse it.

My observations while my husband was recently in hospital for 7 months was the amount of waste of equipment etc. and resources. Also lack of organisation on the ward which wasted many, many, many hours.

Angency workers are eating up NHS funds although there are many other areas where there is waste and need to be addressed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
A thought sprang to mind ....
These agency staff ..nurses and doctors.
Who are they?
If you are a NHS nurse and have time away say to look after children, once your maternity leave is over if you don't wish to return to work full time but intend to do so in the future you are required to work a certain number of hours over a period of time in order to keep your registration open or you lose it.

Agency work provides an opportunity to work occasionally to make up the hours to maintain a registration .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-07-2016, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Are these threads deliberately posted to upset and annoy people who have devoted their time and energies to the caring profession.
What a silly thing to say, I see nothing wrong in members asking about this subject.

Simply there is no money.
That is clearly not the case if money can be found for Agency nurses.

I would say the main reason for the need to employ agency nurses is down to inefficient management (see my comment in the post above about bank staff).
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Hi

However much is spent on Agency Nurses, it pales into insignificance compared to the cost of the PFI Hospitals.

The cost of these is frightening and absolutely no benefit to the NHS at all.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 08:36 AM

The bank system was employed by my hospital last year, and the standard of nursing staff was better than the agency staff. How ever i wonder how these agency's can justify some of the costs involved, as im sure it is not going to the staff employed.

The whole system needs looking at, and who is behind these agency's to see if there is any conflict of interest.

Tax payers want their money to be spent well, not frittered away.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top