Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Re: 7,400 staff who don't speak English !!

Yes, I think that there must be something wrong with our training schemes and employment system that we cannot obtain & keep sufficient British people to do the work

This situation also smacks of political correctness

But here is a tale for you
I was a chef till I retired, and one of the assistant cooks was a Phillipino, a very pleasant and hard working lad who generally spoke very good English, and in fact wanted to become a naturalised British citizen

But one day he made a slip, and when he placed a telephone order with the suppliers, among other things, instead of asking for six tins of pineapple chunks he asked for six TONS of pineapple chunks
Fortunately the supplier realised there must be a mistake , and we sorted it out

Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago I met a Portuguese lady who was here on holiday
She said that even if those in charge of the EU are not happy with Britain after the Referendum, most ordinary people in Europe have no problems at all, and still want to be on friendly terms.
After all, she said, when my company wants to sell its wine to Sweden, guess what language we use?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Hi

A comparison of training for the young.

In one state of Germany, there are 37,000 unfilled vacancies for apprentices.

You do not have to go to University in Germany to get a well paid job and end up owing £30,000.

They pay their engineers, welders, tradesmen good money.

This is what we should be doing.

It is not Rocket Science.

An example of the stupidity here.

Refuse collection was privatised, Council told it had to have not one, but three Monitoring Officers to ensure that the Contract was being met.

This was a Central Government edict.

It used to be done as part of a clerical officers job.

You don't need Monitoring Officers for Refuse Collection.

If Mrs Jones of 8 Acacia Avenue does not have her bin collected on a Thursday morning or the men spill some rubbish on the street she is straight on the phone.

Monitoring done for you.

It is sheer madness and a complete waste of money.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I agree with Swimmy
The whole training/education system is wrong

SG...
I though you were having weetabix!
I wondered if anyone noticed !!

You can't hide anything from you lot !!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 12:36 PM

I thought that immigrants coming into the country had to do a government test prior to be accepted here and work . ? Did I dream this or what ?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Ahh, I've just remembered this

Years ago there was a TV documentary about some British policemen who were on an exchange scheme with the FBI
One of them was from Thames Valley Police, and he had a perfect, well spoken , middle class English accent
He explained that as part of his induction & training he'd had to go for a test in English.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 01:46 PM

When we leave the EU and have control we can change things. We can train those that are here already and only let in others that can speak English to a pretty high standard. Over the course of time the standards should rise.

Thus speaketh the voice of reason once again ...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Morning everyone, now i don’t wish to start the morning off by causing controversy but after reading the following in the paper this morning, I nearly choked on my cornflakes !
I really would like to know what planet public service bosses are on. It seems that they are so intent on instigating “positive racism” in their warped quest for political correctness, they are happy to employ, at the expense of British workers, immigrants who don’t speak English well enough yet are put in positions where the wrong word could mean the difference between curing someone or killing them.!!

Read this and judge for yourselves…

Up to 7,400 migrants working in key public services cannot speak a word of English well enough to do their jobs, a Government study has found.

The Report, conducted for the Cabinet Office,found that at least 5,500 dealing with the public in hospital, councils, schools and other public sector jobs are unable to speak the basic English needed to perform their jobs safely.

Using census data, officials warned that the precise figure could be as high as 7,400.
The study calls for staff to be given lessons.
And in guidance for bosses, the Cabinet Office says that those who refuse or fail to improve should be “redeployed” to roles where they no longer deal with the public.
Under new Immigration Act 2016 powers they can ultimately be sacked.

The report says that a solution is likely to cost taxpayers up to £7.5million but says this will be offset by better service and less complaints.

Cabinet Minister, Ben Gummer, said it was vital to reassure the public “that there is not a language barrier that might prevent them from contacting or using public services or inadvertently put them at risk”.

UNQUOTE

Ben Gummer, you imbecile ! What do you mean essential to reassure the publlc that there is not a language barrier….. Of course there is a language barrier that could put us, joe public, in harm’s way.

The solution? unbelievable! it's bad enough that we have imbeciles who employed so many thousands of Immigrants who don’t speak basic English instead of British employees, what's the betting they have been keeping shtum over incidents where harm has already been caused. I wonder which filing cabinet they have been filed away in.? If and when it is eventually disclosed no doubt we will hear the old chestnut taken from the Government Guide to being a D..k-H..d, yes, that old chestnut…..Lessons have been learned !
What is so galling is the fact that these same imbeciles are responsible for costing the taxpayer up to £7.5million in order to teach them English !!!

The world’s gone mad !!! Your views please …...
Somehow, the disclosure of this information didn't come as a great surprise to me. Call me a cynic, but it has come to the point when I expect those in charge to make incompetent decisions.

But surely, it must occur to them, when they offer such people a job, that there will be a problem in communicating with English-speaking people in English. Or is it, perhaps, political correctness gone mad that they feel they ought to employ people who don't speak English in order to appear to be fair to all?

Well, on reflection, I suppose that we already have in this country a sufficiently high number of people who don't speak English that we ought to have a similar number of customer service employees who also don't speak English. The trouble is that we have so many different languages here now that the chances of a non-English-speaking public service assistant speaking the same language as the member of the public they are serving has got to be highly unlikely!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:33 PM

If it's any consolation to my friends in the UK,
believe me, we have the same problem in Australia.

Until recently, my 96yo mother was in a fairly large aged-care home with plenty of good Australian staff and some equally good Asians..
But as her condition worsened there were frequent phone calls to my home to keep me informed of developments.
Unfortunately, the caller was always Asian and I could rarely understand a word.

I have no problems at all with such folk holding down good well-paid jobs for which they are qualified.
But they should not be required to communicate, especially by phone, when they are patently unable to do so effectively.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->

Until recently, my 96yo mother was in a fairly large aged-care home with plenty of good Australian staff and some equally good Asians..
But as her condition worsened there were frequent phone calls to my home to keep me informed of developments.
Unfortunately, the caller was always Asian and I could rarely understand a word.

I have no problems at all with such folk holding down good well-paid jobs for which they are qualified.
But they should not be required to communicate, especially by phone, when they are patently unable to do so effectively.
I agree. I have often said that I take people as I find them, regardless of their nationality or culture (with the possible exception of Australians, of course!), but the ability to be able to communicate with the people who you need to deal with is paramount.
In this country we seem to be happy to employ translators, no doubt at great expense, rather than expecting people who come to live here to learn at least a modicum of English.
When my wife and I went to work in Saudi Arabia, we went to the trouble of learning some Arabic sufficient to permit us to do our jobs, and that was off our own bats rather than attending any free courses: just asking advice from others as we began working there.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->

I agree Pummy..

Rare event I know.........

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top