Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Re: Referendums

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Are there really any facts given before a referendum? If Cameron was anything to go by, the World would stop spinning if we left Europe.

If the result had been to stay, would you still feel the same?
I'm not saying if I think the decision was right or wrong. Only that I think those who voted on a gut and unthought about feeling were more likely to have voted to leave the EU ..and that's lucky for those who did give their vote some thought before voting out. It helped with the desired result.

What seems to be being said is that those areas of society that we might otherwise have criticised and distanced ourselves from for one reason or another, are OK enough to align ourselves with when it comes to referendums, whatever way the result goes.

There should not have been a referendum in my opinion but a parliamentary vote. There was a referendum however and the result is what it is. I think we should just get on with it as quickly as possible now and get any possible 'leaving' pains over with. We all hope for the best.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 10:55 AM

The Eu referendum was very different to most others IMO there are very few facts to go on it had to be a gut feeling and guess/prediction of what will happen out of the eu. Even now it's changing daily and being diluted so what we voted on is not being implemented.
Many think finance is be all and end all and I think we could predict a bit more accurately about that but how we are governed in the future is not something we can have too many facts about it's a feeling about what is right and wrong for our country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I don't entirely agree that there should have been a referendum. This being because there are probably lots of people in UK who won't have weighed up the facts before voting. Some/many votes will have come from gut feelings rather than being intelligently worked out.

This is kind of lucky for those who gave the facts months of thought before voting to leave the EU. Those who voted on gut feelings without a thought about detailed implications will almost certainly have swayed the vote in favour of leaving.
Let me hazard a wild guess: you are a remainiac!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I took very little notice of the media or the campaigns of either side in my decision to vote out. Having lived through the last forty years or so since the Common Market was first mooted, I can see what it became and I didn't like it. I didn't like where it was going and the effect it was (or would have) on Britain.
My decision was an easy one....
WEll said Fox.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Let me hazard a wild guess: you are a remainiac!
It's going to stay a wild guess JBR. This referendum can divide friends and families. I haven't told anyone what I voted because of this. Nobody has asked me what I voted and I haven't asked anyone what they voted. If asked, I'll say I did one of three things. Voted to leave, voted to remain or spoiled the ballot paper because I don't really agree with referendums.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I took very little notice of the media or the campaigns of either side in my decision to vote out. Having lived through the last forty years or so since the Common Market was first mooted, I can see what it became and I didn't like it. I didn't like where it was going and the effect it was (or would have) on Britain.
My decision was an easy one....
Exactly my opinion too, OGF. The Common Market was a good idea, but when the wannabe dictators took over that was what changed my mind.

Despite what Mart suggested, I have given the matter much thought over the years and Farage's pushing for a referendum finally gave me the opportunity to make my opinion known.

Contrary to what Mart implies, I get the impression that many of the remainiacs were feeble-minded young people who were easily swayed be Cameron's scare tactic campaign.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It's going to stay a wild guess JBR. This referendum can divide friends and families. I haven't told anyone what I voted because of this. Nobody has asked me what I voted and I haven't asked anyone what they voted. If asked, I'll say I did one of three things. Voted to leave, voted to remain or spoiled the ballot paper because I don't really agree with referendums.
Not like you to get involved with controversy mart
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:06 PM

The way the world is now, with regard to information, people can be much better informed than many a politician. Over time this will increase and I think it is playing a big part why there is a growing number of the populace who do not have respect for people in authority anymore.

Power to the people - referendums
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

25-07-2016, 12:08 PM

The word 'remainiac' is just the sort of expression that will reunite the country eh? It might be better to take on a more conciliatory attitude to everyone and get on with with what has happened without perpetuating the divisions the referendum has created.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
The way the world is now, with regard to information, people can be much better informed than many a politician. Over time this will increase and I think it is playing a big part why there is a growing number of the populace who do not have respect for people in authority anymore.
That's a good point Mark, I've twice emailed my MP on matters only to find he has no knowledge of them at all, he's pretty good at passing the buck to someone else though.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top