Join for free
View Poll Results: Would you vote to stay or go?
STAY IN THE EU 34 27.87%
LEAVE THE EU 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Page 30 of 131 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Re: EU...IN or OUT?

One for you to ponder on.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/david-came...114.html?nhp=1

Brexit could result in Calais migrant camps being moved to UK - French minister

A vote for Brexit could result in migrant camps being moved from Calais to the British side of the English Channel, a French government minister has suggested.

Finance minister Emmanuel Macron indicated that British withdrawal from the EU could lead to Paris ending a 2003 treaty which allows UK border guards to be stationed in Calais, where thousands of migrants live in makeshift encampments awaiting their opportunity to cross the Channel.

Speaking ahead of talks between David Cameron and President Francois Hollande in the French city of Amiens, Mr Macron also suggested France would "roll out the red carpet" for bankers wanting to "repatriate" from the City of London to Paris if Britain quit the EU.

He cautioned that any country leaving the 28-nation bloc could not expect to retain the same terms of trade with its former partners.

The Prime Minister is likely to see Mr Macron's comments as confirmation of his own warning that France could stop allowing UK border checks on its side of the Channel if Britain votes to leave the EU.

Downing Street confirmed that the two men are expected to discuss the situation in Calais at the Anglo-French summit, where security is top of the agenda.

Mr Cameron said he was "convinced" EU membership enhances Britain's security, as he prepared to unveil plans to co-operate with France on the development of a new advanced drone.

Mr Macron indicated that UK departure from the EU would scupper the Le Touquet treaty which has seen UK border officials carrying out checks on the French side of the Channel.

"The day this relationship unravels, migrants will no longer be in Calais," he said.

Meanwhile, the "financial passport" system which allows UK financial services companies to operate in the rest of Europe would "work less well", he said,

In an echo of Mr Cameron's 2012 offer to "roll out the red carpet" to businessmen fleeing high-tax France, Mr Macron told the FT: "If I were to reason like those who roll out red carpets, I would say we might have some repatriations from the City of London."

He also said a country leaving the single market would "not be able to secure the same terms" of access to the market, and the EU's "collective energy would be spent on unwinding existing links not recreating new ones".

Mr Cameron and Mr Hollande were expected to reaffirm their commitment to wage a "relentless" battle against the threat of international terrorism after last year's attacks on Paris which left 130 dead and hundreds injured.

This will include intensifying police and security co-operation with enhanced information-sharing between security forces and making full use of the Interpol lost and stolen travel documents database and the Schengen information system.

Pro-Brexit ministers like Iain Duncan Smith have argued that Britain's membership of the EU - and the commitment to free movement of people - leaves it exposed to the danger of a Paris-style attack.

However Mr Cameron will use the gathering to emphasise that being in the EU strengthens UK security while boosting its ability to project power around the globe.

"The UK and France are proud allies. Our meeting here in Amiens today is an opportunity to discuss how we can work even more closely together to keep our people safe," he said in a statement ahead of the talks.

"I am convinced that the UK's membership of the EU gives us greater security and greater capacity to project power globally. In an ever more uncertain world, we gain from our membership of these international organisations."

The two leaders will also announce £1.5 billion of investment in a joint project to build a prototype of the next generation of military drone described as the most advanced vehicle of its kind in Europe.

It follows a £120 million feasibility study for the Future Combat Air System launched at the last UK-France summit two years ago.

The talks - which will be attended by Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond, Home Secretary Theresa May, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon and their French counterparts - will also cover the migration crisis and the conflicts in Syria and Libya.

The PM has also confirmed he wants to speak to Mr Hollande about the Hinkley Point C nuclear power plant, due to be built in partnership with French firm EDF Energy. There have been calls for the project to be delayed over fears of reactor design flaws.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Brexit could result in Calais migrant camps being moved to UK - French minister
A vote for Brexit could result in migrant camps being moved from Calais to the British side of the English Channel, a French government minister has suggested.

Speaking ahead of talks between David Cameron and President Francois Hollande in the French city of Amiens, Mr Macron also suggested France would "roll out the red carpet" for bankers wanting to "repatriate" from the City of London to Paris if Britain quit the EU.

"The UK and France are proud allies.
So Dopey has managed to rope France in to his scare campaign!

How dare the Frogs suggest that if we don't do exactly what they want they will move the Calais migrant camps to Britain?

Will they indeed? I suppose he is assuming that we'll meekly send our couple of remaining Royal Navy ships to pick them all up and bring them here or, failing that, the Frogs will send them in their ships.
Mind you, Cameron being so weak, they probably will.

And then the Frogs will 'roll out the red carpet' for bankers to relocate to Paris. They do have a high opinion of themselves, don't they? Then, of course, they always have had... until the Nazis walked into Paris seventy years ago.

And then Dopey tries to persuade us that 'the UK and France are proud allies'! Well in my opinion we have never really been 'allies' - except for when France was threatened by its immediate neighbour (now its big buddy) on two desperate situations in the last century. Yes, they were our 'friends' then, when they needed us. They've changed their opinion since, of course.

And 'proud'? I don't know about the French, but I'm afraid that I haven't been proud to be British for at least twenty-five years now; not since we ousted an invader from our territory on the other side of the world with very little manpower and hardware to do it with. Of course, thanks to our glorious politicians, we have even less clout now. Neither, apparently, do we have any political will.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:15 AM

Just because we come out of the EU doesn't mean that we can't work closely with France or any other country, we have just given France several million pounds to help with the refugee crisis and we will be paying them for the building of the Nuclear power station at Hinckly, they will also be taking a chunk of the proceeds from the electricity it produces.
And do we really want to be in a gang that threatens you when you want out....It's tantamount to bullying. Are we happy to be bullied?
While ever are borders are open we must expect France to dump the migrants on us, isn't that the whole reason for coming out of the EU so we can put some security back in place?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And do we really want to be in a gang that threatens you when you want out....It's tantamount to bullying. Are we happy to be bullied?
Well some Brits are! Dopey Dave seems to be happy to be bullied by Holland, Murky, and anyone else for that matter but, of course, he's a wimp.

He's already announced that he won't be standing for parliament again, which is just as well as I can't imagine many people voting for him next time. I think many of us understand why he has been meekly kow-towing to his European oppoes: he's secretly been sorting out a cushy number for himself in Brussels.
Pie
Devon
Pie is male  Pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:25 PM

"I am convinced that the UK's membership of the EU gives us greater security and greater capacity to project power globally. In an ever more uncertain world, we gain from our membership of these international organisations."
Well, it's an exceptionally mute point if we gain anything overall.

About 30 countries have free trade agreements with the EU and about another 20 are in the process of discussing them so, apart from sheer bloody mindedness, I can't envisage us being kept from a similar set up.

Then add up the never ending hands in pockets, which we are partially sheltered from, to pay the loans for the money lent to Greece. Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous as lending money and then lending even more to pay the interest to someone who hasn't a hope of servicing the interest let alone the capital? I must go to my bank and ask if I can have a similar deal! Bottomless pits come to mind.

Add in our ever increasing annual net subscription, the gold plated eurocrat pension schemes ......

And don't get me started on the immigrants where Merkel advertises open door policies to all and sundry which will go on for years and which she now wants us to pay for them. Schengen has been ditched, Dublin is a farce and the only thing that benefits from this debacle are the hoards of young economic migrants and the barbed wire manufacturers.

Gain? What effing gain?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 02:22 PM

I don't worry too much about Call Me Dave and his treacherous cohorts "Fear Factor" tactics.
The man is absolutely deluded. He seems to think that because he used the same with success to scare the Scottish people, who wanted independence but were too afraid to vote for change after his bodings of doom if they separated, he thinks it will work all over again for the Referendum.

His problem this time though is that on every peril that he is insisting will fall upon us if we vote to come out, has been proven to be a ridiculous lie. Thankfully, we have sane politicians ready to heap ridicule back on his deluded head that he is talking utter crap and explaining exactly why!.

It just goes to show you that if Nicola Sturgeon, who for obvious financial reasons wishes to remain in the EU, publicly comes out and says that the Prime Minister should cease with the scare tactics that he is using now that were also used to frighten the Scots during the Scottish Referendum as all he is doing is being negative about the UK leaving the EU and it could easily backfire on him, well what does that tell you what even she thinks about all the lies being bandied about and even more so, the man himself?
He is not a Conservative. He is Tony Blair mark 2.

If the British people really cannot see Call me Dave and his cohorts for the lying chancers that they are, then those who vote to be kept in chains deserve everything that is heading our way.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Hi

The problem is this, and it is a big one.

Call me Dave has put all the eggs in one basket, which is that we vote to stay in.

He will be sadly disappointed.

That is where the problem is, we have no exit plans in place, no strategy, nothing.

Anyone sensible would have the plans already in place, he hasn't.

We will be reacting to what others decide.

Not a good position to be in.

It will only take, under current EU Law, for one member state to object to any deal we may wish to make and we are stuck.

We have not even started to negotiate Trade Deals with the WTO yet, they should already be in place so the transition can begin straight away with the rest of the world.

The longer all this takes, the more it will cost us financially.

Would you give Cameron your own money to pay Poker on your behalf?

I wouldn't.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:44 PM

'Meanwhile, the data shows that the more austere a country is, the worse it grows. And it could be argued we’ve had the slowest recovery from a recession since records began. Without the Tories rampant austerity policies, we’d be growing much faster than we are now.

Accordingly, this lack of growth meant the Tories embarrassingly lost our AAA credit rating in 2013. This is the first time this has happened since we were first rated in 1979.'
(Corbyn PMQs)

EU is all that's keeping us from disaster. There are 4 more years of Tory asset stripping to go before they slink off to enjoy their spoils and enough citizens left who still believe the lying propaganda spewed out by the DM and the Sun to keep them in place, if not in power.
I despair of the country my grand-children and great-grand-children are going to inherit. Our generation had it all and threw it away through complacency and mis-placed trust in those who have been barely restrained from destroying us for a century or more.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
And it could be argued we’ve had the slowest recovery from a recession since records began.
I'd be interested to see your evidence for that...
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:07 PM

I have been listening to the latest reports/threats/scaremongering about the consequences for Britain if we leave the EU.

Cynic that I am, I take the fact that big business and senior politicians want us to stay in as a good recommendation that we should leave.

Page 30 of 131 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top