Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 07:46 PM

I dare not look at the garden!

The winds here have been gale force and we have done our best to tether things down. But i see some devastation on the veg plot... the corn is down to the ground and so are many of the tomatoes and peppers plants.

We shut the blinds not wanting to see any more. We will see in the morning whats work we have to do to clear it all up. I do hope we can rescue some of it.
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Re: I dare not look at the garden!

It's heartbreaking sometimes to look out & see the devastation Wonda ... especially after all our hard work.

I had to get up in the night to let a whinging cat in with the wind up her tail & I found all out watering cans clattering around the patio ... probably annoying the neighbours ... & several pots upturned.

The acer is looking decidedly shredded & the sunflowers just gave up the battle & are now face down on the lawn.

Bloomin' wind. I hope your garden isn't too mangled.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 08:05 PM

We had a "death" in the garden too. Our lovely sunflower which reached around 6ft tall.....snapped in half with the bloomin' winds last night.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 10:36 PM

Oh Wonda that's a nuisance after all the hard work of growing them . I hope you manage to salvage some of the produce.

It has been windy here and I feared for my beans but they are still standing.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 03:54 AM

I've not looked out yet, it's still dark but wind has been making a heck of a racket around here the past few hours.....no doubt something will be flattened.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 09:30 AM

It is so sad when the winds destroy all the hard work over the last few months.
I was glad to see that my roses had survived and are still standing proud and looking lovely
Tidy up later
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 04:15 PM

How did everyone fare with the gardens and the winds?

Our sweetcorn was not snapped it was actually uprooted, so hubby replanted them in hope they will be ok. A few branches were lost of the tomatoes but on the whole they were not too bad. Also a few pots were tipped over on their side but luckily the contents seemed ok.

I did have a lovely rose border with some pretty blooms, but they are gone, just need to dead head them now.

Hope you all managed to rescue your gardens.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 04:39 PM

The garden chairs and the kids' wendy house were not where they should be, lots of snapped of little branches from the oak trees, soggy and dropped off petunias (again) and best of all the sunflower didn't break off, she actually showed us her yellow petals yesterday. Everything else OK
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Actually I got off lightly, considering how strong the wind was. Just some flower heads blown off the plant.
Wonda
Sussex, England

08-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Mother nature does throw her tantrums at us gardeners.. sure she's testing us !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top