Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:29 PM

Re: Sloe Gin

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Never seen sloe's in shops
You could maybe make some strawberry brandy before the strawberries finish, otherwise?

I can let you have the recipe if you want.
That would be nice too Mups, again, so long as I don't need too much equipment. thanks.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 02:43 AM

I love sloe gin - but recent 'new builds' round here have killed of the sloes.

As for foraging, Mups, yes - guilty as charged. Just harvested heaps of Hips, Haws and Elderberries from the hedgerow near the 'bus stop. Made sure I left plenty for the birds though.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:11 AM

I love sloe gin....actually Gordon's do a good one if you can't find sloes..

I made rhubarb gin earlier this year it was so simple just rhubarb sugar and gin sealed for a month then the fruit drained off.... it was delish and a lovely shade of pink
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I love sloe gin....actually Gordon's do a good one if you can't find sloes..

I made rhubarb gin earlier this year it was so simple just rhubarb sugar and gin sealed for a month then the fruit drained off.... it was delish and a lovely shade of pink
I hope you kept the fruit, Summer. Last time I made rhubarb gin I used the fruit afterward to make a rather delicious - and rather potent - ice cream!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Actually I was looking forward to the fruit tabs but it went really hard and stringy a bit like twigs ....I suppose I could have tried stewing it...that didn't occur to me....next time I'll try it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Post us the method and recipe Mups?

Regards Donkeyman!

Here you go, Donkeyman. This is the recipe I use:

Slow Gin

* 1lb of washed sloes
* 4ozs of white granulated sugar. (or 1-2 oz per pint of Gin.)
* 1 x 75 cl bottle of medium quality Gin
* Sterilized i ltr Le Parfait jar
* 1 small teaspoon of almond essence.

Method

1. Wash the sloes well and discard any bruised or rotten fruit.
Prick each fruit several times with a fork, then place fruit in either a large kilner/ Le Parfait jar.
(I put several sloes in my palm to prick rather than picking them up one by one).

2. Using a funnel, aded terh sugar and top up with gin to the rim.

3. Add the almond essence.

4. Shake or agitate the jar every day until the sugar is all dissolved, and then store in a cool, dark place for at least three months.

4. After the three months, strain the 'grog' through a sieve lined with muslin and transfer the gin into sterilised bottles.
Then - if you can wait - leave to mature for six months.

I can't find the strawberry brandy recipe now, but here is a Strawberry liqueur made with Vodka if you fancied that? It's very simple:

1. Hull enough perfect strawberries to fill a preserving jar.

2. Prick each berry a few times with a cocktail stick or fork, and pop into the sterilised jar.

3. Add caster sugar to come about nearly a third of the way up the jar. (Or adjust to taste).

4. Top up with the vodka.

5. Seal well, and keep in a cool dark place for 3 - 6 months.

6. Strain through clean muslin and bottle. (Dark bottles if possible so as to minimise the lovely pinky/red colour fading.)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 09:05 PM

Here you go, Donkeyman. This is the recipe I use:

Slow Gin

* 1lb of washed sloes
* 4ozs of white granulated sugar. (or 1-2 oz per pint of Gin.)
* 1 x 75 cl bottle of medium quality Gin
* Sterilized i ltr Le Parfait jar
* 1 small teaspoon of almond essence.

Method

1. Wash the sloes well and discard any bruised or rotten fruit.
Prick each fruit several times with a fork, then place fruit in either a large kilner/ Le Parfait jar.
(I put several sloes in my palm to prick rather than picking them up one by one).

2. Using a funnel, aded terh sugar and top up with gin to the rim.

3. Add the almond essence.

4. Shake or agitate the jar every day until the sugar is all dissolved, and then store in a cool, dark place for at least three months.

4. After the three months, strain the 'grog' through a sieve lined with muslin and transfer the gin into sterilised bottles.
Then - if you can wait - leave to mature for six months.

I can't find the strawberry brandy recipe now, but here is a Strawberry liqueur made with Vodka if you fancied that? It's very simple:

1. Hull enough perfect strawberries to fill a preserving jar.

2. Prick each berry a few times with a cocktail stick or fork, and pop into the sterilised jar.

3. Add caster sugar to come about nearly a third of the way up the jar. (Or adjust to taste).

4. Top up with the vodka.

5. Seal well, and keep in a cool dark place for 3 - 6 months.

6. Strain through clean muslin and bottle. (Dark bottles if possible so as to minimise the lovely pinky/red colour fading.)
Gotcha! Always knew you were a bit of a lush.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Didn't know where to put this, it is not really diet or nutrition?

Just wanted to say I went for a lovely ramble across the fields with my pooches today, and found loads of Sloe's growing.

My son loves my Sloe Gin, so I shall make some as another stocking filler for him this Christmas.

I have also made Sloe Vodka, Blackberry Brandy and Strawberry Vodka in the past, but only do the Sloe Gin now - too much faffing about.

Does anyone else make things from the hedgerows?
If you are stuck what to get me for Christmas Mupsy, I'd love some Sloe Vodka please
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Gotcha! Always knew you were a bit of a lush.

Hah, bet you wouldn't say no to a sample though.

I have a recipe for some Blackberry Whisky too. Bet you'd like that one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
If you are stuck what to get me for Christmas Mupsy, I'd love some Sloe Vodka please

Haha, I'll bear that in mind, Queenie.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top