Join for free
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:08 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Life is a work in progress, just depends how much actual work, folks dedicate to.

Goodnight Sweetie.

True Spitty

Good Night
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well there’s one wheel gone off the wagon but we’ll pioneer on till we can get it fixed.

Meanwhile the weather is improving and I ventured out to the shed today for a few hours work, came inside at about half three, had a bite to eat and relaxed to watch an old film on utube, I have one of those smart boxes connected to the big TV, it's more lazy that smart, it keeps conkin' out.

Why do the bannisters always shake when somebody grabs hold of them in all the old films?
Why, when someone is opening a stiff door in a room does the whole wall move?
Why, when a plane or helicopter is crashing down does it always go behind a mountain to blow up?
Why, in more modern films, when there is a big explosion is it always in the background, and why do the actors always run towards the viewer in slow motion, to me running in slow motion is a visual oxymoron.
Why do film makers still think we are all gobshites?

Well at least the Chinese director of that oscar winning film, which translated into English as “The Yellow Flower in the White Garden” was honest straight from the start, he’s in the opening credits as “Directed by Fu Ling Yu”, great special effects, he sure fooled me.

Brilliiaaaant observations
Jem at his questioning best.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I am usually a walking disaster Spitty.
If there is something to trip on, I find it.

When in roam do as the roamers do eh?
A great string of one-liners chums, much appreciated
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

21-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
It is a working process.
I wish I had even half of your energy Ms Pie
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Well,MR Pie wishes she'd ease up,RJ.
The wail heard from Pie Towers last night was 'What,AGAIN?
This's the third time this year & we're not halfway through March,yet"!

[he was,of course,referring to beating the house rugs. What did you think he meant?]
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Good Morning Possums.
I think you all need another story today.
I will be back to post one.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

21-03-2019, 06:10 PM

“I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

I often feel that way, is it inspiration or simple condemnation?
Some days I feel I can do no right, that life is a battle, with no end in sight.
On other days the world is shining, no cause for me to start my whining.
Is it shadows blinding my sight? Or is it the unknown, that causes my fright?
Either way, there is no escape, unless I had an invisible cape.
Now there is a thought that eases my thought.
Shame there isn't a place, they can be are bought.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 07:43 PM

One thing that really gets my goat is cannon balls exploding. After all they are only chunks of iron but when they fall among men on horseback they explode.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Too true Ben, I would imagine when a canon ball hit the ground there would be more of a big ‘Thud’, because there’s nothing to explode is there.
I only found out some years back that in the earlier films battle scenes and westerns featuring lots of horses they used trip wires to make the horses fall, this caused many painful injuries to the unfortunate animals until it was finally stopped.
Also in westerns, when the wagons formed a circle and the Indian braves were riding around the circle, many of the Indians would dramatically fall off their horses even before the Cowboys shots were fired, very enthusiastic braves they had in Hollywood back then. Still it was all magic to us kids.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Excellent mood capturing poem there Sweetie, take a bow dear lady.

I had the below post written a few months ago, the time of the equine flu. Sometimes things that are in the news remind me of something that happened to me years ago,
I jot it down then it gets lost in the files, but now and then I’d be looking for something else and then it would pop up and stare me in the face.

Horse racing being in the news a while back reminded me of something that happened to me years ago. First I had a dream.
In the dream I was a young man and I was being chased by a big fat overfed man on a horse, I was in a panic and then I spotted a building with the front door wide open I dashed in. I feverishly tried to get the door closed but it wouldn’t budge, the man dismounted and followed me in, I was up against the wall in a small room, naked and completely defenceless, the man approached me with an evil sneer on his face as he started to unbutton his jodhpurs…then, through the mercy of God I woke up, I was in a sweat.
The wife beside me in the bed woke up too and asked me what was the matter, I told her my dream exactly as I dreamt it. “What does that dream mean to you my dear woman?” She turned over to go back asleep and muttered “Don’t do any horses tomorrow Jem, it means your going to be screwed by an unscrupulous bookie”
Strange things dreams. The wife was half asleep when she said that to me but she was right.
A few days later I was in town having a pint with an old workmate, hadn’t seen him in years, racing was on the TV and my friend asked me to go in 20 quid with him on a horse he had a tip for. I don’t normally put more the a fiver on any horse, even that is stretching it for me, but hail fella well met and not wanting to appear a skinflint in his eyes I said “Only 20 quid?, no bother” He wrote out the bet and went into the bookies next door, an old place run by an independent bookmaker.
Anyway the horse won a 4/1 and we were delighted, 100 quid back for each of us including our stake money. I said I’d go and collect seeing he put it on, then he stood up and began to search for the ticket, he turned out all his pockets but still no luck, he retraced his footsteps back to the bookies searching the footpath but it was nowhere to be seen, vanished.
He went over to the bookie counter and told the grumpy looking old git behind it that he had lost his winning ticket and could he write the bet out again to verify his handwriting (the usual procedure in such cases). The man pointed to a sign on the wall that said “Your ticket is your receipt, keep it safe, no receipt, no claim” He was perfectly within his rights by the way, same as if you lost a lottery ticket.
And that was the dream out as they say, we was well and truly screwed. I must add that with the big name bookies there is never a problem paying out in similar cases.
I often wonder did my ‘friend’ really lose the ticket in the first place and went back to the bookies a few days later with the ticket and came out 200 quid the richer, bookie dockets used to be good for three months, alas that’s something I will never know. -true tale.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top