Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:10 PM

1960's Girl Groups

I am an enthusiatic fan of 1960's Girl Groups and, for your enjoyment, I will present 20 of the best-known "hits", starting with:

The Angels - My Boyfriend's Back (1963)

My boyfriend's back he's gonna save my reputation
(Hey-la-day-la my boyfriend's back)
If I were you I'd take a permanent vacation
(Hey-la, hey-la, my boyfriend's back)
My Boyfriend's Back was written by the songwriting team of Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer. The recording was originally intended as a demo for the Shirelles, but ended up being released as recorded. The single spent three weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and reached number two on the R&B Billboard.

The Angels, at the time of recording, were New Jersey girls Barbara and Phyllis Allbut with Peggy Santiglia (lead). A few singles and an album later, the girls "fame" evaporated.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Re: 1960's Girl Groups

This one was released in 1958, but it holds memories of my teen years.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
This one was released in 1958, but it holds memories of my teen years.
The song was used in the 1973 movie, That'll Be the Day - that's where I know it from .....

Formed in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, United States, the Poni-Tails - Toni Cistone, Karen Topinka and Patti McCabe - started singing at Brush High School, which they all attended. Karen Topinka soon left the group and was replaced by LaVerne Novak.

The group signed to ABC-Paramount and released "Just My Luck to Be Fifteen", a flop. Following this was "Come on Joey, Dance With Me" b/w "Born Too Late". The B-side was the one that caught the attention of radio DJs and became the group's biggest hit, reaching #11 on the U.S. R&B singles chart and #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1958. Follow-ups "Seven Minutes In Heaven" (#85 Pop) and "I'll Be Seeing You" (#87 Pop) fared less well, and the group's last single, 1960's "Who, When And Why", did not chart.

The members left the music industry and pursued careers in other fields in Ohio.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by omah ->
the song was used in the 1973 movie, that'll be the day - that's where i know it from .....

formed in a suburb of cleveland, ohio, united states, the poni-tails - toni cistone, karen topinka and patti mccabe - started singing at brush high school, which they all attended. Karen topinka soon left the group and was replaced by laverne novak.

The group signed to abc-paramount and released "just my luck to be fifteen", a flop. Following this was "come on joey, dance with me" b/w "born too late". The b-side was the one that caught the attention of radio djs and became the group's biggest hit, reaching #11 on the u.s. R&b singles chart and #7 on the billboard hot 100 in 1958. Follow-ups "seven minutes in heaven" (#85 pop) and "i'll be seeing you" (#87 pop) fared less well, and the group's last single, 1960's "who, when and why", did not chart.

The members left the music industry and pursued careers in other fields in ohio.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I am an enthusiatic fan of 1960's Girl Groups and, for your enjoyment, I will present 20 of the best-known "hits", starting with:

The Angels - My Boyfriend's Back (1963)

My Boyfriend's Back was written by the songwriting team of Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer. The recording was originally intended as a demo for the Shirelles, but ended up being released as recorded. The single spent three weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and reached number two on the R&B Billboard.

The Angels, at the time of recording, were New Jersey girls Barbara and Phyllis Allbut with Peggy Santiglia (lead). A few singles and an album later, the girls "fame" evaporated.
A great song which you just can't help singing along to. Looking forward to the rest.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A great song which you just can't help singing along to. Looking forward to the rest.
OK, next:

The Ronettes - (The Best Part Of) BreakinŽUp (1964)

"(The Best Part of) Breaking Up" was recorded by The Ronettes, produced by Phil Spector and arranged by Jack Nitzsche with Ronnie Spector on lead vocals and with backing vocals by Nedra Talley and Estelle Bennett, ably abetted by Darlene Love and the Blossoms, Bobby Sheen (a.k.a. Bob B. Soxx), and Sonny and Cher.

The song was the group's third consecutive top forty hit in the US. The single peaked at number 39 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number 43 on the UK Singles Chart.

In January 1964, the Ronettes left for their first tour of the UK, where they made a strong impact from the very beginning. "We must have been quite a sight in the Heathrow waiting room," Ronnie Spector later recalled, "three black American girls sitting with their legs all crossed the same way, our three identical, enormous hairdos piled a foot or so over our heads. When our young chaperon finally showed up, he was all smiles."

On their first night in the UK, the women attended a party at Tony Hall's house where they met the Beatles. After meeting, Ronnie and John Lennon became fast friends, remaining so until Lennon's death. Estelle and George Harrison also spent time together. But for Ronnie, one of the biggest thrills was meeting Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, who were the opening act for the Ronettes on their UK tour. The feeling was mutually shared by Richards, who wrote of his relationship with Ronnie: "The first time I ever went to heaven was when I awoke with Ronnie asleep with a smile on her face. We were kids. It doesn't get any better than that."

She was gorgeous, though .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Not a group but definitely more than one. The Caravelles - You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Not a group but definitely more than one.
You're right - they're not a group, they're a duo …..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-11-2019, 06:15 PM

Next:

The Paris Sisters - I Love How You Love Me (1961)

"I Love How You Love Me" was originally intended for Tony Orlando, to be arranged in the same upbeat style as Orlando's precedent hits "Bless You" and "Halfway to Paradise". The song was written by Barry Mann and Larry Kolber (aka Kolberg) who were staff writers at Don Kirshner's Aldon Music near the Brill Building. Kolber had written the lyrics on a restaurant napkin within five minutes. When Phil Spector discovered the song on a visit to Kirshner's Aldon offices he persuaded Kirshner that the song would have more potential if rendered by a female act. Spector then recorded "I Love How You Love Me" with The Paris Sisters.

Entering the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 in October 1961, "I Love How You Love Me" reached No. 5 that November.

In the UK, the Paris Sisters' version was overlooked in 1961, in favour of a cover by Jimmy Crawford whose version reached No. 18 in the UK Singles Chart. "I Love How You Love Me" was also a UK chart hit for Maureen Evans in 1964 reaching No. 34, and for Paul and Barry Ryan in 1966 at No. 21.

Oh no ..... not Paul and Barry Ryan .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

04-11-2019, 07:22 PM

I don't remember that one.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top