Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 11:50 PM

The Micro Men

Just watched a docudrama on BBC, the story of Clive Siclair and Chris Curry, these two guys were in the battle as rivals to put a PC in every home in Britain.

It all started in 1980 when Clive sacked Chris, they went their separate ways and Clive eventually brought out the Spectrum series while Chris developed the Acorn brand.

I still have the Sinclair Spectrum, at the time it was cutting edge tech with thousands of programs available.

Then in 1985 it all went pear shaped, if the two of them had stayed together we might have been using British PC's but along came IBM and that ended our claim to fame.

A barrow boy bought up Sinclairs business for a song in 1985, . . guess who, . . . . Alan Sugar.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Re: The Micro Men

I remb playing games on the spectrum
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Re: The Micro Men

It was great Azz, all them flying sims, and remember Manic Miner, that was crazy, all you needed for the Spectrum was a TV and cheap cassette player.

Todays lappies remind me of the Spectrum keyboard, it was a membrane one but every key was a function one like your "F" keys on todays models.

The first one from Sinclair was the Spectrum Z80, what a pile of junk that was, I suppose that far back it was unique.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top