Join for free
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:18 PM

It's Been Puzzling Me????

Happy New Year All.

Now, I fully understand how upset all those who voted to Remain must have felt, and still do, at the result.

What I personally find unbelievable though, is that Remainers cannot or refuse to accept and respect that result.

How is it that with every General or Local Election, the result has always been respected and accepted by the electorate, even if it was not the result that one voted for.
And yet, there is no respect whatsoever for the Referendum result. I find this astounding. I can guarantee you that if the result had gone the other way to remain, Leavers would have respected that result. So why do Remainers find it so hard to be respectful of the vote to leave? I hear constantly from one corner of the Remainer room to the other "We fully respect the decision of the majority" whilst at the same time, spitting venom at anyone who declares that they voted to leave.

In the defence of Leavers, is it any wonder they are defensive when this venom comes aiming at them. We who voted to leave, just as Remainers did, assumed we lived in a free, democratic society where the majority result has always been accepted and respected. If the result had gone the other way, no doubt you would have been shocked and disgusted if Leavers proceeded to act in the way that you have been, yet, 18 months have passed since this result, we have those who want it declared null and void, we have those who want it changed, we have those who are convinced that those of us who voted leave were temporarily insane and we even have political groups of ex-Ministers, Lords, Ladies and elite Celebrities, all plotting to stop Brexit altogether.

So, please if you would explain, Why, after 18 months since the Referendum, you are still arguing that the result was wrong, and why do you not respect the result of the majority - as we have always done so in the past with every election result in Britain throughout history - until now?!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Re: It's Been Puzzling Me????

Excellent post Shrops, and spot on.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:32 PM

All this arguing from different corners; leavers; remoaners - it's become a bit excessive and an exercise in social climbing!

Why can't we just debate on the best way to go forward?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:34 PM

It puzzles me as well.
If the remain vote won, I would have just sucked it up and carried on.

Leave won, so instead of being so bitter, why not accept it and try to look forward / support the country rather than deride it.

The continuing insults like racist / thicko / oldies / little Englanders don't help either!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Just a thought is it because of the wording of the referendum . The vote which suggested it wasn't legal ? Also before the vote the awful accusations of racism and xenophobia that were bandied about willy nilly by remainers. How can they respect a vote if they can't respect the voters ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone had rightly accepted the result, disappointed as many may have been and have always been after every General Election when their vote wasn't enough. As others on here say, respect it and move forward instead of treating the result as a colossal error and must be discounted.

Just imagine the extra power we would have had during the first part of the negotiations with the EU team, with them knowing that our government had the full backing of all of its people. Instead, our team went in there with the EU knowing that the result of the most important decision in our history had been tainted by the worst division ever witnessed among the British people, that I have ever known.

Two parties now exist, Remainers and Brexiters, such hatred, such vitriol, such envy, such accusation, How terribly sad and unnecessary.
And the worst thing is, all this slagging off of each other won't make one iota of difference to the result. It's gone, It's happened, The result was made. We really should live with it and move on.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 03:09 PM

I have copied this from www.order-order.com.
I don't think it needs much more in the way of any comments, but no doubt some will wish to

"One can appreciate honestly held views, even when you entirely disagree with them
Whilst I voted to Leave the EU, I do not hold it against those on the losing side who did not.
That is democracy, is it not? Win or lose, you accept a result and get on with it

Nevertheless, certain actions by those who voted Remain are beginning to verge on a form of treason, highlighting as they do a deep dislike of Britain, a preference to be ruled by anyone who is not British, and the willingness to commit acts designed to undermine the Government's ability to carry out the will of the people

The precedent is being set that elections and referendums are not to be seen as final, and that those on the losing side have a right not to accept the result.

Which is a slippery slope for a democratic country supposedly governed by the rule of law. "
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 03:11 PM

Exactly I thought after vote we'd all pull together to make it work but that's not happened. Not only hasn't it happened it's caused such pain I can't see the country ever pulling together. The remainers have predicted we can't make it work and done their damndest to ensure that's the case.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Having read through this thread, it strikes me as just another attempt at slagging off those of us who voted to remain.

I hold true to my opinions and will continue to do so.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Having read through this thread, it strikes me as just another attempt at slagging off those of us who voted to remain.

I hold true to my opinions and will continue to do so.
And you don't slag us off?
Pot / kettle?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top