Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 12:54 PM

I will be a nervous 'mum' next Tuesday!

Holly is booked in for her spay.

Feel wicked inflicting this on her but know it has to be done, and the sooner the better, IMO.

She is steadily gaining weight (put on .2 kg since last week) but I stilll need to increase her food slightly. I am so afraid of underfeeding her.

I think what is worrying me more is the anaesthetic, and the wound. My niece's shih tzu had an infection following her spay.

Have taken out the plan, to cover all the continuing flea and worming treatment, two vet consultations, anal gland wotsit, and money off the spay. Paid it all today.

ETA.
I was looking into the idea of getting a surgical vest. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Re: I will be a nervous 'mum' next Tuesday!

How old is Holly now Jazzi. There really is no rush. You don't have to have her spayed yet. She would be fine if you waited a while longer and may well benefit from waiting if she is not fully mature.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:22 PM

Just over six months.

I want to get it done as during the spring and summer I want to get her into regular doggy daycare. It'll be like a holiday for her, and I can do things I need to do. I don't want the threat of a season suddenly happening.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Just over six months.

I want to get it done as during the spring and summer I want to get her into regular doggy daycare. It'll be like a holiday for her, and I can do things I need to do. I don't want the threat of a season suddenly happening.
Hi Jazzi your choice of course.
I always spay my bitches in between seasons so that is 3 months from the start of a season when the hormone cycle is at its least active so less chance of hormone related beahavioural problems.
I would not wish to spay immediately before a season is due because at that time the blood vessels that supply the uterus and ovaries increase in size which can add to the risks of surgery. At 6 months Holly is due to to come in season at any time.

Having a small breed , with a bitch that comes in season at 6 months I would be looking to spay at 9 months.
If I had a larger breed I would prefer to wait longer for the growth plates to close, this takes place around 8 months in
small breeds but up to 18 months in large breeds.

I know all the arguments about rescue centers spaying young bitches before their first season but they have their reasons which are that is the safest option under their circumstances but it is not necessarily the best thing for the bitch.

I am not telling you what you should do Jazzie just saying what I would do
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:46 PM

It's a scary time I know but o always think after they are over it the best time of their lives begins. No worry about pregnancy no worry about awful cancers. It's just fun from then on.

We hesitated with Betty being so small and vet wouldn't do it until she hit 5lb but once she got that goal post it was no stopping her. Elsie was so depressed each season she had we were very relieved for her when she was done, no more confusin and unhappiness.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a scary time I know but o always think after they are over it the best time of their lives begins. No worry about pregnancy no worry about awful cancers. It's just fun from then on.

....or Pyometra, it cost me the lives of 2 bitches years ago and almost a 3rd in the days when routine spaying was not the norm.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
....or Pyometra, it cost me the lives of 2 bitches years ago and almost a 3rd in the days when routine spaying was not the norm.
That's a nasty one haven't experienced it here but we did lose Rosie chihuahua to a dreadful rear end, cancer that was only there because we didn't spay her.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 02:01 PM

We too have always allowed our bitches their first season, then have the procedure done a couple of months afterwards. Personal choice of course but many vets also think that the best way..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-04-2018, 02:05 PM

The only reason our vet says wait until after first season is they can then see if there are any problems, personally having had two dogs now that had problems, Elsie hugely upset and depressed, and Katie corgi came into season every six weeks after she started. I am happier to do it prior to season one.

But few vets disagree with you Barry.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

03-04-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The only reason our vet says wait until after first season is they can then see if there are any problems, personally having had two dogs now that had problems, Elsie hugely upset and depressed, and Katie corgi came into season every six weeks after she started. I am happier to do it prior to season one.

But few vets disagree with you Barry.
I am happy to do it now, too, and it suits me and my planned lifestyle. Nurse didn't try to put me off.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top