Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:29 PM

Were you ever into CB radio?

The summer I turned 16 (1982) my parents bought me a handheld CB radio. Largely, I think, because I had gotten all A's in my O-Grade results and this was their present to me.

It had 40 channels, rechargeable batteries and could communicate with anyone who had a home set-up, one in their car or other portable as long as they weren't more than a few miles away. I used to climb hills whereby a much greater range could be attained.

It was a craze which came from America but was very popular at the time. I sometimes wonder what those who liked CB radio moved on to.

And it was a lot of fun. I would arrange "eyeballs" and meet up with other CB radio users
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Re: Were you ever into CB radio?

I had one for a while, that I set up to use on a motorcycle?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:40 PM

I had one in my car, long time ago. I remember my handle, it was Tired Mamma. I had a little group of friends on there and we talked....those were the days, I loved that....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:43 PM

It seems strange, almost archaic compared with today's smartphones yet somehow people were more connected as they were all fairly local (apart from strangers chatting away to others in their cars).

And there were lots of meet-ups arranged.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:48 PM

I was ‘Hairy Spider’
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:50 PM

Precursor to the mobile phone, Good Buddy.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

11-07-2018, 09:50 PM

I was Charlie Brown.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:51 PM

I was a CB'er. My name was Commodore Lady (I was an expert at playing commodore compute games lol)

Breaker Breaker 19 a copy, where's ya 20, how many candles are ya burning just a couple I remember.

My sister and I didn't have phones as we couldn't afford them and the CB was a great way of communicating.

Awww, I miss my CB radio days, we used to prefer to go on low band as someone was always stamping on a ratchet on the other channel LOL
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It seems strange, almost archaic compared with today's smartphones yet somehow people were more connected as they were all fairly local (apart from strangers chatting away to others in their cars).

And there were lots of meet-ups arranged.
eyeballing hahaha
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

11-07-2018, 09:53 PM

One nine for a copy, and God forbid anyone who talked on the emergency channel 9.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top