Join for free
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 10:59 PM

Are sandwiches a popular item in uk ?

I have heard that sandwiches are not a very popular item in the UK. Is that still true ?

If it is not true what kinds are the most popular ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 11:06 PM

Re: Are sandwiches a popular item in uk ?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have heard that sandwiches are not a very popular item in the UK. Is that still true ?

If it is not true what kinds are the most popular ?
Hi

They are very popular, after all, we invented them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Where on earth did you hear that?
The Earl of Sandwich would be rolling in his grave.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 11:55 PM

bakerman (with a small B) has some strange views of our fair country.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Hull, UK
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 11:55 PM

Bread has yet to be sliced or folded in the UK. I understand that the residents of Sandwich in Kent are busy inventing a food to be named after their historic market town as we speak.
Morticia
Chatterbox
UK
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
bakerman (with a small B) has some strange views of our fair country.
He has questionable views on a few things.
Not too knowledgeable. ..... believing sandwiches aren't a popular item in the UK is like a Brit believing guns aren't a popular item in the States... or should that be Mexico? Or just bang on top of the new wall?
Omah
Preston,UK
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:25 AM

http://www.britishsandwichweek.com/i...ches-do-we-eat

UK sandwich statistics:

4,000,000,000 sandwiches are purchased from UK retail or catering outlets each year.

£8,000,000,000 is for them

The average price of a sandwich is £2.14.

Britain’s biggest sandwich retailer by £value in the UK is the American franchise chain Subway which has shot ahead of the UK’s biggest retailers, including Tesco, Greggs and Marks & Spencers, in the sandwich stakes in the value of the sandwiches they sell. However, Tesco outsells them in the numbers of sandwiches sold by several million.

In the UK there are over 300,000 people employed in the sandwich industry.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...sandwich-habit

The average British person will eat 18,304 sandwiches, at the cost of £48,339, over the course of a lifetime.

56% of Brits consume a sandwich every day. In Leeds – the city with the highest sandwich-dependency rates – researchers found that the average citizen munches through 20 sandwiches a month
When I was working for a local authority, I ate a sandwich every day - since the local authority was located in a seaside town, I had hundreds of sandwich sources in the proximity, from the "greasy spoon" to M&S, with thousands of filling combinations available.

Nice, but not as enoyable as a subsidised 3-course meal in a modern staff cafeteria, which I had previously enjoyed.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:28 AM

Perhaps I should have been more specific, and said 'as popular as in the US. Rare is the day when I don't have a sandwich or two.

I have read numerous articles/threads that the hamburger is not well likedin the UK. Fish and ships being much more popular.

And yes, I'm aware of the Earl of sandwich and his invention. I am, after all , a chef.

I'd still like to know what kind of sandwiches are popular in the UK
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:38 AM

cucumber ones are still nice! - eaten by ladies with their little fingers crocked - I don't think we have any on here [ladies that is] or I would recommend one for advice?
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:48 AM

Hamburgers are nasty concoctions of minced up bits of animals, which look and taste disgusting - but I believe some humans eat them and enjoy them.

A well made sandwich can be very tasty.
Judging by the number and type of sandwiches we sell in our shop, I'd say that the most popular seem to be either white bread or seeded rolls, filled with chicken/ ham / cheese / salad.

I rarely eat sandwiches but my favourite is wholemeal bread, filled with crumbly, white, Wensleydale Cheese and sweet Carrot Chutney.
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top