Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:08 PM

Should I say anything

The ambulance driver I had today is a very nice ,helpful man ,I cant fault his driving,he is a good driver, but he often talks to others through hands free mobile while driving [ other driver also do the same ]. I thought even this was against the law?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Re: Should I say anything

No deylon, not if it is hands free. Personally I think it still distracts from driving but that is the law.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Hands free is legal. It's only if he is holding a handset to his ear that it's against the law.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Hands-free phone use: the law
You are allowed to use a phone if it is fully hands-free – you’re not allowed to pick it up and operate it even momentarily.

Any hands-free devices should be fully set up before you drive, so you can take calls without handling the device.

The police still have the power to stop you if they believe you have been distracted by using a mobile phone while driving, even if it’s fully hands-free. Some road safety groups believe mobile phones should be completely switched off while driving, to avoid any distractions.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hands-free phone use: the law
You are allowed to use a phone if it is fully hands-free – you’re not allowed to pick it up and operate it even momentarily.

Any hands-free devices should be fully set up before you drive, so you can take calls without handling the device.

The police still have the power to stop you if they believe you have been distracted by using a mobile phone while driving, even if it’s fully hands-free. Some road safety groups believe mobile phones should be completely switched off while driving, to avoid any distractions.
So do I in general - but ambulance crew may need to keep in touch with their base. If it was just chit chat to a friend - that's different.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 11:17 PM

I was wondering that Tabby ... as in, who was he talking to?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 11:32 PM

It doesn't matter if he was talking to his mum as long as it's hands-free then it's not against the law. Bus/coach drivers etc also talk to the base via the radio as do train drivers, police etc. Plus then you have air pilots in constant contact with air traffic control etc. It's normal for professionals.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It doesn't matter if he was talking to his mum as long as it's hands-free then it's not against the law. Bus/coach drivers etc also talk to the base via the radio as do train drivers, police etc. Plus then you have air pilots in constant contact with air traffic control etc. It's normal for professionals.
I appreciate that, Annie, but it could still be distracting.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 01:16 AM

My wife's phone has Bluetooth paring with our Nissan car , so to answer she can do it via buttons on the steering wheel, it has built in Mike and speaker
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:08 AM

It is very hard nowadays, to ascertain when folks are talking to themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top