Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:37 AM

Curry's - and the great 'fridge/freezer hunt!

Firstly the freezer - am still undecided whether to go for an upright or another chest - but - have hit a problem anyway. All the ones I have looked at so far say in their 'product details' that they are NOT to be put in an outbuilding but must be used/run/kept at room temperature! Well my lovely old GEC survived 32 years out in the garage and I do not have room for a freezer in the house. No - before anyone asks - it would not enhance my craft room. So it is on hold for the moment.

Next the 'fridge - that had three restrictions - I do not want one with an icebox, it had to be self defrosting, and it had to fit under the worktop where the old one lives - so no more than 90cm high and 50cms wide. The width proved to be a problem - most of them are now 54cms wide. Anyway, having researched on line, finally found one in Curry's and persuaded my friends to take me there yesterday.

Curry's ... Hmm ... Not impressed on several levels. Having looked, measured and decided on the 'fridge I actually had to go in search of a salesperson. Then I was passed from James to John to Laura to close the deal.

Laura said if I would like to pay an extra £25 the delivery men would install it for me. No, thanks. You plug it in and switch it on - what's to install?

Then she said that for an extra £25 they would take the old one away. No, thanks, if I leave it by the curb on Monday morning it will be taken away for free.
The next one was - if I signed up to pay Curry's a £20 per year maintenance fee - they would come out and steam clean it for me annually. No, thanks, I keep a clean kitchen and am perfectly capable of steam cleaning it myself.

Then came the best one - she put all the details into her computer - smiled sweetly and asked me for £154. No, I said, the fridge is priced at £129. Ah - but there is a £25 delivery charge. I directed her attention to the huge banner over the the 'fridge display stand stating "Free Delivery".

Apparently they have ONE free delivery slot per day - next one wasn't until the beginning of October - can't last that long without a 'fridge so, reluctantly, I paid up and it arrives tomorrow! What con artists! Are they all like that these days?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:48 AM

Re: Curry's - and the great 'fridge/freezer hunt!

1. Report them to the advertising Standards Authority for misleading advertising,

2. Report them to your local Trading Standards Authority.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:49 AM

I have an old fridge freezer it been in a garage for thirty years .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:50 AM

Hi

That is why I avoid the place ST.

I use the local Euronics, very good service and cheap too.

If you Google freezers for garages there are some good suitable ones.

Hope this helps.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

That is why I avoid the place ST.

I use the local Euronics, very good service and cheap too.

If you Google freezers for garages there are some good suitable ones.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Swimmy, had not heard of Euronics - will go and look.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:57 AM

Tabby, this is not unusual for Curry's, and a few other large shops selling electrical appliances!
They are just doing what the banking industry did with PPI, selling you something you don't really need.

These may help for your freezer search, as Beko have fridges that can be kept in your garage.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/free...or-your-garage

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sh...hrome&ie=UTF-8
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:10 AM

ao.com are hugely successful.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:17 AM

My brother gets his tellys (yes, plural...don’t ask!) from ao.com.

Curry’s really do try that hard sell, especially with warranties, but UJ is right about reporting to trading standards. I’ve never heard of restricted free delivery slots!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:30 AM

I have a Beko fridge freezer purchased from Currys, I had no end of trouble though.

The first one they delivered didn't work but because it was an integrated appliance and had been fitted before it broke down they said one of their maintenance crew had to test it before they would authorise an exchange. Thing was their crew only worked this area one day a fortnight so it was almost 2 weeks before they could come. This was in the recent hot spell..

I will cut a long story short and tell you that after a lot of phone calls I did get them to me faster and I got an exchange but it wasn't easy. Hubby was furious that he had to fit an integrated appliance twice....I wasn't popular

The staff at Currys were all pleasant with me it was the company procedures they had to adhere to that were rubbish.

I like the appliance when I eventually got it in and working.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Are they all like that these days?
High Street retailers have to keep their prices competitive with online retailers so the only way to make any money is with these added "extras".

You have to be very careful these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top