Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 05:38 PM

I can't get out much

If it's not the fatigue from the chemo, it's my panic attacks which have stopped me from going outside. My G.P. has been trying to get me to do the CBT breathing exercises to help with the anxiety but they don't help much.

It's depressing; it seems that the only way I can get to places a few miles away is by taxi. I used to be able to walk to and back from these places with no problems at all.

So there are two issues: my physical health and my mental health. And I can't seem to be able to do anything about either. My weight, whilst not greatly so, is up although I try and eat healthily. I make sure I eat plenty of fruit and salads and don't eat crisps or chocolate.

What would you do in my place? It hasn't made me depressed, just a little gloomy.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 05:48 PM

Re: I can't get out much

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
If it's not the fatigue from the chemo, it's my panic attacks which have stopped me from going outside. My G.P. has been trying to get me to do the CBT breathing exercises to help with the anxiety but they don't help much.

It's depressing; it seems that the only way I can get to places a few miles away is by taxi. I used to be able to walk to and back from these places with no problems at all.

So there are two issues: my physical health and my mental health. And I can't seem to be able to do anything about either. My weight, whilst not greatly so, is up although I try and eat healthily. I make sure I eat plenty of fruit and salads and don't eat crisps or chocolate.

What would you do in my place? It hasn't made me depressed, just a little gloomy.
Get a dog. I don't say that flippantly. I suffered fro depression too. Mine did more, much more, for me than any therapist.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 06:02 PM

I'd love a dog but worry what would happen to it if I had to go into hospital again; it's a real possibility given my past.

Same goes for a cat and I do like animals.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 06:09 PM

Getting a dog whilst unwell is not something I would recommend, if Ffosse’s situation is not ideal. I don’t have terrific health myself, and used to come down with every virus going, but they are a tie and if mine is anything to go by, can be demanding and want to be with you 24/7.

I love mine dearly, but took a long time researching and getting it right. I think the same would go for any pet, as they all need full time care or maintenance. Even a tank full of fish.

So please think carefully before either getting a pet, or suggesting it.

I wish you well, Ffosse.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-09-2018, 06:12 PM

No, I wouldn't get a pet for the reasons you list.

I've got a neighbour whose cat I can stroke.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'd love a dog but worry what would happen to it if I had to go into hospital again; it's a real possibility given my past.

Same goes for a cat and I do like animals.
I suppose my circumstances differ from yours. I was in and out of hospital a few times and six weeks of radiotherapy. My dear wife looked after Max and we we have a kindly neighbour who dog sits if we need to be away for a while.

But mostly he goes with us almost everywhere.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Ffosse.....I know it's easy for me to say but this too will pass.

It's of no surprise you're having panic attacks, I know what they feel like, but you've got to give it time. And in the meantime take your meds, get out as much as you can even if it does mean taking a taxi (being stuck indoors just makes you brood) and don't beat yourself up. You're allowed to feel crap, you're allowed to feel overwhelmed.

I was having panic attacks earlier in the year and I found occupying my mind to be the greatest help, followed by getting out and about. I know the latter is nigh on impossible for you under your own steam but please try to do a little bit. All this to do with panic attacks and mental health definitely affects you physically, you've just got to take it one day at a time.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-09-2018, 06:30 PM

Thanks for that, Nicol, I know I should try a little each day. I did get out briefly yesterday to a local shop but was pretty anxious, worrying about whether I would panic or not. Then I ask myself what has happened to me after all the panic attacks I've had in the past?

Nothing, my heart has slowed down and I've gone back to normal. It's just so hard to be positive sometimes.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 06:45 PM

All the time you were ill and undergoing treatment it was almost like you were holding your breath. Now you've come out the other side that wall in your brain that was holding all the bad thoughts at bay has fallen down and it's all catching up with you. It's almost like PTSD.

As I said before, give it time, it will pass. Don't worry about your weight, just keep yourself as fit as you can and allow yourself some leeway, you're not Superman, you can only do your best.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Getting a dog whilst unwell is not something I would recommend, if Ffosse’s situation is not ideal. I don’t have terrific health myself, and used to come down with every virus going, but they are a tie and if mine is anything to go by, can be demanding and want to be with you 24/7.

I love mine dearly, but took a long time researching and getting it right. I think the same would go for any pet, as they all need full time care or maintenance. Even a tank full of fish.

So please think carefully before either getting a pet, or suggesting it.

I wish you well, Ffosse.

Sorry Ffosse, but I totally agree with Jazzi.

I think you only will add to your troubles at the mo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top