Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Footsteps in the Night

I'm up, no idea why I can't sleep, checking in here and surfing the net. I already had a glass of orange juice, watered a vase of flowers, and have looked outside the windows to see what is going on out there (nothing).

I have a friend two time zones away who calls me in the middle of the night when she can't sleep. Misery loves (or creates) company, I suppose!

What do you do when insomniacal?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Re: Footsteps in the Night

Hi Surfermom.

I often wake up in the early hours and can't go back to sleep. Eventually, I normally get up, have some warm milk then settle down on the sofa for the rest of the night. It seems to work, a change is as good as a rest as they say.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Hi SM
As a rule I usually sleep well but lately ive been kept awake so I come downstairs and make a milky drink and pop the low lights on in the lounge and end up sleeping on the recliner till morning.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:02 AM

I was up and about at 4am this morning unable to sleep I decided to emulsion the conservatory.
My breathing as been great this past week so its nothing to do with that my sleeping problem.
At present I am finding it hard most nights to sleep I seem to be getting a surge of energy.
My sister passed on Monday so perhaps that may have something to do with it.
Its been sometime since I have felt this way, and I am doing small jobs all over the house.
Trouble is I fade fast during the day and when our lass returns from shopping I will be up those stairs and fast a sleep till around 3pm and then restart my day.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I was up and about at 4am this morning unable to sleep I decided to emulsion the conservatory.
My breathing as been great this past week so its nothing to do with that my sleeping problem.
At present I am finding it hard most nights to sleep I seem to be getting a surge of energy.
My sister passed on Monday so perhaps that may have something to do with it.
Its been sometime since I have felt this way, and I am doing small jobs all over the house.
Trouble is I fade fast during the day and when our lass returns from shopping I will be up those stairs and fast a sleep till around 3pm and then restart my day.
Very sorry about your sister LF. Perhaps that is why you are unable to sleep and need to be keeping busy in order for you not to lie there and dwell on it. We all have our own way of trying to deal with loss and it obviously helps you.

I too have been finding myself waking up around 4-5 am. I find it impossible to stay in bed once awake. Once I make any movement that looks like I may be getting out of bed, my two little dogs are also immediately awake in their baskets by the bedroom door. So of course, I first have to let them both into the garden in the pitch dark, whilst I stand there with legs crossed!!!

Mind you, all is soon peaceful again once I have that lovely, delicious very first hot mug of tea on the sofa whilst catching up on a programme I have previously taped, with my boys now fast asleep again resting their heads on my knees.
I love the time to myself before HWMO alights from bed in the mornings.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Because I work nights when the weekend comes my sleeping pattern is all over the place.
During the week I sleep in the mornings and in the evening have a further two hours sleep before I go to work. On Friday and Saturday nights when I'm not at work I stay awake as long as possible to try to sleep right through the night but it never works, even after thirteen years of working night shifts. Even if I go to bed absolutely shattered at 11 pm I'll be awake by 1 am feeling wide awake again.
I get up, go downstairs and watch some TV for a couple of hours. Thank the world for box sets!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:32 AM

I sleep with my kindle near by so when I wake up I read a bit then hopefully get sleepy again. Doesn't always work if you have a real page turner but generally it gets me back off again.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 11:39 AM

I don't sleep very well at night so I usually have a couple of hours in the afternoon, which I find is better quality sleep than that which I get at night.

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Because I work nights when the weekend comes my sleeping pattern is all over the place.
During the week I sleep in the mornings and in the evening have a further two hours sleep before I go to work. On Friday and Saturday nights when I'm not at work I stay awake as long as possible to try to sleep right through the night but it never works, even after thirteen years of working night shifts. Even if I go to bed absolutely shattered at 11 pm I'll be awake by 1 am feeling wide awake again.
I get up, go downstairs and watch some TV for a couple of hours. Thank the world for box sets!
I worked nights for 7 years and weekends were awful.

On working days I'd get to bed about 8am and sleep til 2pm, starting work at 7pm. I didn't snooze before work and it was always a struggle around 2am when your body is at it's naturally lowest ebb.

But weekends....I'd come home on a Saturday, go to bed as usual but only sleep til 11am for some reason. Then I'd get up and be like shoite on a stick all day. Then by 9pm I'd be asleep on the sofa, my dinner having gone straight to my eyeballs

I'd sleep better on a Saturday night but then all day Sunday I'd be depressed at the thought of work on a Monday night.

My husband however loved nights, coped fine, slept like a log.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 06:02 PM

Up and into the den with the fire on. Usually listen to a bit more of whatever audio book I'm in the middle of. Usually doze off again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 06:29 PM

I go on the computer for half an hour which takes my mind off what was stopping me from sleeping. If something happened during the day that can play on ones mind and prevents a good nights sleep

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top