Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Leavers and Remainers, A Call For Unity?

If, as is the distinct possibility with the plotting that has gone on in Westminster, there is a second referendum
May I please make a suggestion with the greatest respect to both sides,How about a few suggestions to Remainers to try and ensure kinder, more socially acceptable discussions regarding Brexit on OFF?
Don’t know about you lot but I am sick to death of the sight and sound of the words Brexit, Leavers and Remainers..
Please feel free to return the favour to Leavers. Everything helps as long as it is not insulting.

So, here are my sincere suggestions:

First, if there is a run up to a second referendum, please do not repeat the same arguments you first made in June 2016 and every single day since. Especially your well worn “Leavers were duped, they didn’t know what they were voting for”. All it has ever done is get Leavers backs up because it is highly disrespectful to give the impression that you don’t respect the intelligence of the 52 per cent.

Second, Please do not rake up old ashes. A surefire guarantee to cause more division. How about more discussion on “Should we accept Theresa May’s Deal” in the event of a run up to a second referendum? much nicer than harking back to Remainers and Leavers, which are both based on the decision we took over 2.½ years of bitterness ago, and guaranteed to turn it once again into a them and us scenario on posts, and God, if you are like me, sick to death of it all.

Third, Instead of telling us how wrong we got it voting leave,(we weren’t) how about telling us what we got right by voting to leave? Like how right we were when we said we were right to treat the promises of politicians with suspicion, how right we were when we complained about the total lack of attention the people got from Westminster, or perhaps how right those people who voted leave simply to give the political establishment a good kick up the backside were and totally justified because of the choices on offer at the time and the resulting shambles by our politicians.

Fourth, Talk about the botched Brexit by all means. I’m bloomin sure that both sides are united in calling for urgent reform of British politics, The whole rotten lot needs it.

Fifth, Please accept that you are never going to persuade hardcore Leavers to change their minds about the hated EU. How about joining together and agree that we don’t want our government to spend the next 5 or 10 years breezing off to Brussels and Paris every couple of weeks wasting time and effort and at the expense of everything else that has been so neglected in our society.

Sixth, (I’m running out of reasons to unite) but how about talking about taking back control?
Sovereignty. The one thing that the EU ensures is that Britain loses the power to set its own rules. This is one of the main reasons Leavers voted leave for. Surely there is much that could be discussed on this topic alone.

I hope this thread makes sense to those who voted Remain. I wasn’t sure how to word it exactly. It’s just that I have butterflies in my head from defending my decision to vote Leave over two and a half years ago and the same old repeated bickering on the Brexit forum and feel as though I will go mad if we go through the same old arguments, name-calling and bickering again in a repeat of the first referendum!
I know, I could choose to simply ignore the Brexit threads, but I’m so entrenched now I feel like a moth drawn to the flame!). !

I’m hoping that posters will agree that perhaps it’s time for kinder more agreeable threads regarding the forthcoming dreaded second referendum (if it happens). Otherwise I don’t think my blood pressure will take it!

If Remain and Leave supporting posters can think of any suggestions (not insulting ones please) that would attract other posters who usually ignore the threads regarding Brexit because posts get really heated and insulting, and see that our posts are more united in our thinking, surely that can’t be a bad thing?

What do you think? Or do Leave supporters think I should keep taking the tablets?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Re: Leavers and Remainers, A Call For Unity?

Keep taking the tablets because I can't see it happening both sides have good guys and both rude so and so's. So it will never change.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 04:19 PM

Perhaps you are right Julie, It was just a thought. It seems a lifetime ago since the referendum, two and a half years when I thought we would by now be looking forward to leaving in a matter of weeks. Instead, look at the state of this country? still under the EU boot, the laughing stock of the world at the sight of our MP clowns in Parliament. and back to where we started two and half years ago! The thought of all the bickering on the Brexit thread that will be to come on the decision this loopy government will be taking, just makes me feel tired with it all.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part with the suggestion.
Is it going to be division forever?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Perhaps you are right Julie, It was just a thought. It seems a lifetime ago since the referendum, two and a half years when I thought we would by now be looking forward to leaving in a matter of weeks. Instead, look at the state of this country? still under the EU boot, the laughing stock of the world at the sight of our MP clowns in Parliament. and back to where we started two and half years ago! The thought of all the bickering on the Brexit thread that will be to come on the decision this loopy government will be taking, just makes me feel tired with it all.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part with the suggestion.
Is it going to be division forever?
As far as Mays deal was concerned, leavers explained that the the Irish backstop was the big issue. Remainers wont tell us which bit needs changing ... it wouldn't matter what deal was put in front of them all they provide is a protest vote.

Remains argument is still centred around short term disruption to trade...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 04:49 PM

It's a difference in mind set IMO one side only seems to worry about money and the other a belief in the country being better (not necessarily money wise) alone.

There can't really be a meeting of minds when we think so differently. I don't doubt we all want the best for our country it's just some people have different priorities and can't understand why the other side don't accept that.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-01-2019, 04:52 PM

Bread, that is what I was trying to say, all we have heard in two and half years are the reasons we were too ignorant to know why we voted leave, nothing constructive about how to remedy those same reasons, just more bickering between us about what we stood to lose, Well, all but those who had been left behind, which was most north of Watford.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 04:59 PM

If there was to be a second referendum, there would only be one thing I would like to find out, whether those that voted leave would vote leave for a second time or whether they would not bother voting again. I would want to know what the general plan is but apart from that, I am pretty much done with discussing it.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Bread, that is what I was trying to say, all we have heard in two and half years are the reasons we were too ignorant to know why we voted leave, nothing constructive about how to remedy those same reasons, just more bickering between us about what we stood to lose, Well, all but those who had been left behind, which was most north of Watford.
Yep ...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Yes Julie, I agree that the two sides differed - remain worried mainly about the economy and leave worried about the several reasons we voted to leave.
All valid reasons for our decision on which way we voted.

However, we are now back where we first started. Leavers with the fervent wish that we will still leave on 29th March with or without a deal, (not much hope there) and Remainers hoping upon hope that there will be a second referendum and that the majority will vote Remain this time.

Personally, I dread to think of the unrest that may happen if a second referendum is called with a remain question and the first ignored. I won't mind however if the second referendum questions are about the deal only and leave out the choice of remain or leave, because that decision has already been taken and put into law.

They can put whatever questions they wish otherwise, as long as the remain or leave question is not put in there.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If there was to be a second referendum, there would only be one thing I would like to find out, whether those that voted leave would vote leave for a second time or whether they would not bother voting again. I would want to know what the general plan is but apart from that, I am pretty much done with discussing it.

Me too, I worry about my kids future but apart from that I'd be happy if Brexit was banned from the Forum.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top