Join for free
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:14 PM

How to remove a leader

Given a conversation on another thread about seemingly unpopular party leaders and how they maintain their positions...

As far as I can recall, Corbym managed to keep his position since the majority of the party members voted for him, whereas the parliamentary party didn't (assuming there was no significant change from when 172 voted "no confidence" versus the 40 who supported him).

Surely, if there is a call of no-confidence made by enough mp's in their leader, then it should be up to every signed up member of a party to decide, and not just the parliamentary party? This would give a clear mandate one way or the other as well as make those in parliament be absolutely clear of the wider political party view.

Given that (I assume) party members presumably have some kind of membership number which they could log onto online, such a vote could be done very quickly indeed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 01:29 PM

Re: How to remove a leader

When I read your title my immediate thought was a tranquilizer gun I think brexit and the political mess has finally tipped me over the edge
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Re: How to remove a leader

First, in order to have a vote of no confidence in their leader, a party first needs to have MPs who possess a pair!!
As we have all found out of late, MP's once elected, certainly don't want to rock the boat. Why would they.
The opposition party have it cushy. No responsibility, the perfect opportunity to make mischief, fat salaries for doing nothing, chance to take up directorships and make extra money, feather their nests with expenses, put up with their constituents only when they "must" hold the obligatory surgeries. (a price well worth paying for all the perks they have now).
Time enough to rock the boat only when the chance of a General Election comes along. Until then, who of them actually gives a fig who is their so-called leader? They are all one and the same anyway. Useless!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top