Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks Portugal :)

More encouraging news on Brexit ...

https://eutoday.net/news/politics/20...s-after-brexit
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Re: Thanks Portugal :)

Good for them.

Portugal has always been our ally.

Hopefully, because of other EU countries, especially France, trying to kick us in the teeth, Portugal can look forward to continued - or better, increased, visits from the UK.

I'd rather we spend our money there than in France, anyway.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Excellent news! that's the second bit of sensible news from EU countries heard this week. (The other was Poland suggesting that if the backstop did come into play, why not put a 5 year limit before the UK could just walk away).

Portugal relies heavily on British tourism, they can plainly see that by putting up passport control barriers would be a very bad deal as it would only serve to put people off from returning. Hence their very wise move in installing special lanes for Brits at their airports, is to their benefit.

Other EU countries whose economies depend largely on British tourism, would do well to have very similar thinking to Portugal.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:21 PM

I, too, have a vague Portuguese connection with Brexit

About a week after the Referendum I met a Portuguese lady on holiday at Howarth, doing the Bronte thing
I explained to her that although I voted Leave, I had no argument with the Portuguese, or the Italians, or the Poles, etc, etc; it was the European Union that I didn't like

"That's alright" she said "We will always need the British. When my father sells his wine to Germany, guess what language they use?"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good for them.

Portugal has always been our ally.

Hopefully, because of other EU countries, especially France, trying to kick us in the teeth, Portugal can look forward to continued - or better, increased, visits from the UK.

I'd rather we spend our money there than in France, anyway.
I agree. It just proves who our true friends are.

Well done Portugal.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:47 PM

I believe we will start to see lots of examples where EU countries start ingoring the EU rules, stick 2 fingers up and them and do what is best for their own countries. To that extent I'm sure they will be amicable with the UK and agree whatever arrangements make sense for both them and us.

The EU is collapsing imho.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:57 PM

I think the resolve to stand firm is starting to crumble in some EU countries started by the Polish foreign minister suggesing that the Irish border issue could be solved if the backstop were time-limited to five years and warning that Dublin had the most to lose from a 'no deal' scenario...

On Newsnight last night it said Tony Blair had been going around the embassies of Europe telling them to stand firm and not give way on the deal because we are having another referendum that man has such a cheek, who is he to intervene.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think the resolve to stand firm is starting to crumble in some EU countries started by the Polish foreign minister suggesing that the Irish border issue could be solved if the backstop were time-limited to five years and warning that Dublin had the most to lose from a 'no deal' scenario...

On Newsnight last night it said Tony Blair had been going around the embassies of Europe telling them to stand firm and not give way on the deal because we are having another referendum that man has such a cheek, who is he to intervene.
Blair Brown Clegg Major ...they are all yesterdays men
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I believe we will start to see lots of examples where EU countries start ingoring the EU rules, stick 2 fingers up and them and do what is best for their own countries. To that extent I'm sure they will be amicable with the UK and agree whatever arrangements make sense for both them and us.

The EU is collapsing imho.
I agree.

If we could just leave without any 'deal', we could save ourselves paying the EU's ransom and their continued demands.

I'm sure your're right about individual countries wanting to trade with us, though I suspect that France and Ireland would be the least likely to join them.

Yes, I am still confident that a 'no-deal' Brexit would be the best option for us.

Unfortunately, the very people who we have elected are determined that we may not have it.

Revolution!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Tony B Liar seems determined to ruin this country as much as he can, if only he can make more money out of it.

Disgusting worm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top