Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Could There Really be Civil Unrest if Brexit is not Delivered?

I notice one or two posts on here advocating civil unrest if Brexit is not delivered. That truly is a frightening thought. The country is so divided at the moment, Those who voted Leave have hardly been heard (barring of course, Politicians). I have not been able to read, see or hear what they are thinking. Media just does not show it, The whole show is all about Remainers, their every thought and action.

I was reading an article today which you may find a little interesting.

Would there really be a Civil War if Brexit isn’t delivered? I really don’t know, but from the very little that we are allowed to know by the remain supporting media about the feelings of those that voted to leave, people are getting restless - they are waiting for something to happen.

According to Michelle Clifford, Senior News Correspondent. Sky News

“I think it’s opened a sleeping giant if I’m honest. I think it’s awakened a lot of people. One person in Burnley, when asked the question of what could happen if Brexit is thwarted, replied “Oh, there’ll be mass riots. There’ll be hysteria. There could even be Civil War. The country has used its voice and if the Government ignores what the people have said then there is going to be a Civil War”.

An extreme assessment perhaps, but a reflection of not just the strong emotion Brexit has stirred up, but the strong urge in places like Burnley (Leave 67%) to hold the Government to account in delivering it.

People want their vote to be taken seriously but are suspicious that the South (read London Politicians) will somehow water the EU result down.

The feeling of a North-South divide is still alive, kicking and growing - if many of the people I spoke to in my old reporter stomping ground of Lancashire are anything to go by.
And for many people that feeling has intensified post-Brexit. At the town’s main manufacturing employer Veka, worker Stuart Leyland says “Yeah. over the past 12 months, certainly since Brexit. It just feels like the Government are doing it for themselves and not for the country. There has always been a North-South divide, but it has gotten worse”.

Bringing some power back to Burnley was one of the reasons Stuart and many of his colleagues voted for Brexit. They felt that too much power had been ceded not just to Europe, but a London-centric government.

So if power is to be taken away from Brussels; why not London too? Couldn’t Brexit be a real opportunity to create a more equal UK?
Maybe there is even a way for Remainers to get a silver lining out of the referendum cloud.

How about a more federal UK? It’s a case former Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been pushing.
He envisions a future where powers taken back from Brussels in areas like fisheries. Agriculture and social funds are not given to Westminster and Whitehall but to the nations and regions.

Mr Brown wants half of the £4bn spent annually in the UK by the EU to be returned to local and devolved governments.
That would surely mean more money being allocated more fairly and spent more strategically, more wisely wouldn’t it?
It would be a region’s money, to be spent on a region's need by regional representatives who, one would imagine, would be more accountable to the people of that region.

And if there’s a public consultation too about what needs to be done and where money should be spent, that would make people feel more invested in the political process (happier if things go right and perhaps more inclined to criticise if things go wrong).

So many who voted out of Europe don’t feel “in” with Westminster either.

So could a benefit of Brexit be a movement of powers from London to around the nation?

In the divided UK, maybe that could be a uniting factor.

Unquote

What do you think about money being shared equally in all of the Regions instead of automatically going into the South's pockets?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Re: Could There Really be Civil Unrest if Brexit is not Delivered?

My view is that there will be civil unrest if there is a no deal scenario.

More of this :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-salford-home

It's the sort of crap we haven't seen since the 70s. Some people want to go back to that mentality. It will cause civil unrest if we leave without a deal and people start to think they can dish out mob rule.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 11:27 PM

Nah...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 11:46 PM

Joe public are far too apathetic - they might tut tut a little - but nothing worse.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:17 AM

The very thought of Burnley being a catalyst in a civil war made me chuckle.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Joe public are far too apathetic - they might tut tut a little - but nothing worse.
Especially if it’s raining, or it clashes with Eastenders/Corrie or the footie
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Especially if it’s raining, or it clashes with Eastenders/Corrie or the footie
yep if it's anyfing like the votin turnout I'd agree innit!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 05:31 AM

We will all feel incensed but it will die down and we'll just get on with it...personally I might join a march or something but if it turned riotous.....I'd leave I'm not into that
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Bringing some power back to Burnley was one of the reasons Stuart and many of his colleagues voted for Brexit. They felt that too much power had been ceded not just to Europe, but a London-centric government.

So if power is to be taken away from Brussels; why not London too? Couldn’t Brexit be a real opportunity to create a more equal UK?

Unfortunately I think you are spot on with this. I have spoken to people in Burnley many times. Even though Burnley has actually directly benefited from the EU (because it is so poor) and a no deal for them would be disastrous they just feel it can't get any worse so "lets vote to shake things up".

If the far right tell them its all about immigration then we get race riots like a few years ago.

It makes you despair for our democracy. Yes I'm all for devolution of powers away from Westminster and I think Andy Burnham is trying to make that happen but attracting well paid employment to Burnley away from London is a very substantial challenge and lets face it; at least for the next few years Brexit will make us poorer not richer.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
I have spoken to people in Burnley many times. Even though Burnley has actually directly benefited from the EU (because it is so poor) and a no deal for them would be disastrous they just feel it can't get any worse so "lets vote to shake things up".
Just proves that people voted to leave for the wrong reasons. All the problems are here and they will still be here whatever happens. Anyone who thinks that leaving the EU will fix the ills of our society should think again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top