Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Any economists out there?

I wondered whether to put this in the politics section, but it isn't really a political question, so I put it here.

One thing I've been puzzling about is how Scotland can have free prescriptions and give University grants, (and I believe Wales too?) but England can't.

I realise that the populations of those countries are a lot smaller, but why should that matter?

Can anyone with an economist mind explain please?

Am puzzled.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 01:24 PM

Re: Any economists out there?

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I wondered whether to put this in the politics section, but it isn't really a political question, so I put it here.

One thing I've been puzzling about is how Scotland can have free prescriptions and give University grants, (and I believe Wales too?) but England can't.

I realise that the populations of those countries are a lot smaller, but why should that matter?

Can anyone with an economist mind explain please?

Am puzzled.
No need to be an economist. It's down to the powers delegated to the Scottish parliament by the Blair (mis)government.

We give them our taxes, they take the mickey.

To see another scandal incarnate check out the Barnett Formula that sees the per capita spend of UK taxes so much higher in Scotland than England.

And STILL they whinge about how hard done by they are in Scotland.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 01:41 PM

My OP wasn't intended to be a criticism of Scotland and Wales, far from it! I think it's great that they do it, but was puzzled.

Am still puzzled, though.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:02 PM

My OP wasn't intended to be a criticism of Scotland and Wales, far from it! I think it's great that they do it, but was puzzled.

Am still puzzled, though.
Look on it as one more consequence of Blair's broken Britain.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:47 PM

Isn't it becausethe NHS in Scotland and Wales was devolved to their national assemblies in 1999. They get to choose and make their own decisions of what they spend their share of NHS money on.
I should think something similar must apply to the universities, etc.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

17-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Isn't it becausethe NHS in Scotland and Wales was devolved to their national assemblies in 1999. They get to choose and make their own decisions of what they spend their share of NHS money on.
Just check out the Barnett Formula - and weep.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Just check out the Barnett Formula - and weep.
Wiki'd it and not much the wiser I am afraid. Too complicated for me. The bit I did understand was that Barnett himself now says it was a mistake.
Pyxell
South of England

17-04-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Well, yes, I guess so. But it still begs the question as to why they can do it and we can't.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 06:20 PM

Well, yes, I guess so. But it still begs the question as to why they can do it and we can't.
Hi

Not really.

The Barnett Formulae gives Scotland far more money per head of population than we in England get from Government Taxation.

They therefore have more money to spend than we in England do, hence, they can give away more freebies.

Wales spends it's money differently, which they are allowed to do under powers devolved to the Welsh Assembly.

England, is , on average, more wealthy than Wales, so Wales gets large amounts of EU Funding, more per person than England gets.

Wales voted overall to leave, which means they will lose their EU Funding.

This is why the Welsh Assembly are shouting that they must get the same level of of funding after Brexit from the rest of the UK as they got from the EU.

My response is, Wales voted to Leave, live with it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 05:03 PM

They certainly did. Here where I live on the border of North Wales, the Countess of Chester Hospital(on the English side of course) have said they are refusing to take any further Welsh patients due to Wales not paying what is owed to them. How on earth did that ever happen, and just what is NHS Wales doing with all their funding that it came to such a decision?

As for England always being at the back of the queue when it comes to being given the same as Scotland, Wales and N.I, it's always been an Apartheid situation where England is concerned, if not with money, then it's education, prescriptions and life-saving drugs.

I have absolutely nothing against Scotland or Wales. One does what one does for their people. I just wish our own government would do the same for us. Pigs might fly!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top