Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Juicers.

I've just taken delivery from Amazon of an electric juicer. I've yet to fathom out how to put it together & use it!!

My main reason being I want to drink a lot of celery juice as it's claimed to me a powerful anti - inflammatory. Since being diagnosed with Polymyalgia I want to increase superfoods and cut down on the steroids.

So I wondered does anybody else use an electric juicer and do you have any favourite recipes I can try!

I shall of course be making more than celery juice in it.

Or do you think they're a waste of money?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Re: Juicers.

Having assembled it Carol darlin' - just make sure the lid is firmly on it before you switch on, unless you want to decorate your kitchen ceiling with pieces of food and juice.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:29 AM

That’s a smart idea carol. What you eat and drink makes a huge difference in pain management and eating anti inflammatory foods helps greatly. I used to use a juicer but now I use a vitamix blender. Sometimes I strain my drinks.

Here are some recipes

https://simplegreensmoothies.com/rec...moothie-recipe

One of the best anti inflammatory foods is GINGER! It’s great for healing stomach upsets

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/foodbabe...-smoothie/amp/

https://easyhealthysmoothie.com/anti...othie-recipes/

https://paindoctor.com/anti-inflamma...othie-recipes/

https://easyhealthysmoothie.com/anti...othie-recipes/

I usually drink smoothies.

1/2 pineapple
2 ribs of celery
Head of romaine lettuce
Handful coriander
Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger

Add water to your desired consistency

This will make enough juice for the entire day
There are some great recipes here
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Thank you UJ & Bratti.

This is the juicer I've bought. Any opinions on it are welcome.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 07:12 PM

You were very wise to purchase a "whole food" masticating juicer so you can get the benefits of the fiber.

Looks great! Can't wait to hear how you like it.

I love mine.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 07:25 PM

That is a nice juicer carol.
Good job. You are better off getting some fibre which is why I now use my vitamix
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

19-05-2019, 11:05 PM

I haven't got round to using it yet - it's still in the box.

Will let you know how I get on.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Also in agreement with Surfermom about the fibre. Take the juice from an orange and you just have all the sugars and not much fibre, not good. That's why fruit juices are not generally a good thing. Remember a 1lt carton of apple juice contains about the equivalent of 21 teaspoons of sugar !!

Lots of anti-inflammatory foods to go at gerenally including:

tomatoes
olive oil
green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, and collards
nuts like almonds and walnuts
fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, tuna, and sardines
fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and oranges

Also make regular batches of broth from boiled bones like your mum used to make. "Bone Broth" is the Google search term for it. Packed with nutrients that will help you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2019, 09:20 PM

IMO fibre is overrated and just gets stuck in your teeth and passes out through your bowel. Vitamins and minerals are very important. Since I started drinking fresh squeezed juice of one orange every day my cholesterol has gone down and my health has improved.

Fresh spinach, kale etc are not as healthy as promoted. They are full of oxalic acid. Raw veg should not be overdosed on for that reason. Fatty fish are full of mercury. Forest fruits are full of sugar.

But it's processed carbs that are the real poison in our diets. It does not matter how much fibre you do or do not eat if you eat loads of carbs that's going to counter the good intentions.

I very much agree with you about the boiled broth Realist. The typical "chicken soup" is one of the most nutritious things on the planet. Easy to digest and very comforting.

NB I have no scientific evidence for these assertions. It's just my opinion!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
IMO fibre is overrated and just gets stuck in your teeth and passes out through your bowel. Vitamins and minerals are very important. Since I started drinking fresh squeezed juice of one orange every day my cholesterol has gone down and my health has improved.

Fresh spinach, kale etc are not as healthy as promoted. They are full of oxalic acid. Raw veg should not be overdosed on for that reason. Fatty fish are full of mercury. Forest fruits are full of sugar.

But it's processed carbs that are the real poison in our diets. It does not matter how much fibre you do or do not eat if you eat loads of carbs that's going to counter the good intentions.

I very much agree with you about the boiled broth Realist. The typical "chicken soup" is one of the most nutritious things on the planet. Easy to digest and very comforting.

NB I have no scientific evidence for these assertions. It's just my opinion!

Annie darlin' - please - orange juice alone??? - it cries out for a tot of gin too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top