Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Gravitas
Senior Member
Gravitas is offline
North England
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,795
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:30 AM
1

British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

I'm always interested watching the Pointless quiz show how often British Asians struggle with simple questions on "popular culture". Not just the odd question but all (or almost all) the questions on the board.

40+ LBC presenter Maajid Nawaz couldn't pronounce the name Baddiel (as in Baddiel and Skinner). He also hadn't even heard of Danny Baker until the controversy the other week.

Romesh Ranganathan's mother said at the week-end she had never heard of Game of Thrones.

These days (at least) I suppose it's a lot easier to avoid British "culture" in favour of "Asian culture" with the variety of TV and radio channels and the internet.
Reply With Quote
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 10,282
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:35 AM
2

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

How do you pronounce Baddiel? I wouldn't have a clue either if it's one of those weird posh names without logical phonetic rules. ["It's bouquet!!"]

Game of Thrones? Seriously.
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is online now
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 21,722
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:36 AM
3

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

I'm not Asian and have never heard of either of these people .
Reply With Quote
Cold Feet
New Member!
Cold Feet is offline
Berwickshire
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 7
Cold Feet is male 
 
28-05-2019, 09:43 AM
4

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

I thought Game of Thrones was a video game but I now know its a TV show on satellite TV. I didn't know it was classed as British culture.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 17,201
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:47 AM
5

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Hi

My knowledge of popular culture is also negligible.

I do not watch soaps and so called Celebs are a complete mystery to me.
Reply With Quote
Gravitas
Senior Member
Gravitas is offline
North England
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,795
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:50 AM
6

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How do you pronounce Baddiel? I wouldn't have a clue either if it's one of those weird posh names without logical phonetic rules. ["It's bouquet!!"]

Game of Thrones? Seriously.
Have you really never heard of David Baddiel?
Reply With Quote
Gravitas
Senior Member
Gravitas is offline
North England
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,795
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:51 AM
7

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I'm not Asian and have never heard of either of these people .
That is weird.
Reply With Quote
Gravitas
Senior Member
Gravitas is offline
North England
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,795
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:53 AM
8

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I'm always interested watching the Pointless quiz show how often British Asians struggle with simple questions on "popular culture". Not just the odd question but all (or almost all) the questions on the board.

40+ LBC presenter Maajid Nawaz couldn't pronounce the name Baddiel (as in Baddiel and Skinner). He also hadn't even heard of Danny Baker until the controversy the other week.

Romesh Ranganathan's mother said at the week-end she had never heard of Game of Thrones.

These days (at least) I suppose it's a lot easier to avoid British "culture" in favour of "Asian culture" with the variety of TV and radio channels and the internet.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add I was listening to a Muslim on an LBC phone-in this morning and he said he had never heard of Noel Edmonds.
Reply With Quote
Cold Feet
New Member!
Cold Feet is offline
Berwickshire
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 7
Cold Feet is male 
 
28-05-2019, 09:54 AM
9

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Danny Baker was on BBC radio back in the 1990's and also did some TV work. I don't know what he does now.
Reply With Quote
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Uncle Joe is offline
Brighton UK
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 25,593
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
28-05-2019, 09:56 AM
10

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Oh yeah, I forgot to add I was listening to a Muslim on an LBC phone-in this morning and he said he had never heard of Noel Edmonds.

If he's a new(ish) refugee why would he know of Noel Edmonds ???
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.