Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 11:44 PM

Frying Pans!

Hands up all those who wash them after every use!!

When I was about 5yrs old - I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with our cook. Was fascinated by the fact that she never, ever, washed the frying pans! Everything else - yes - frying pans - no.

She would give them a good rub round with a sheet or two of newspaper (kitchen rolls not having been invented yet) to remove all the grease/food debris - then polish them with a clean tea towel. She reckoned it 'seasoned' them.

I do always rub mine out with kitchen roll before washing them - but - if all I have done is fry an egg in a little butter - then I have been known to not wash it until next use. Haven't poisoned anyone yet!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Re: Frying Pans!

Cast iron.
Wish I had one but I don’t.
My parents had one and never washed it.
I don’t think you’re supposed to.

The frying pans I use aren’t cast iron so they get washed after every use.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 03:43 AM

Bare metal pans are better if they are seasoned, as was said before.

I once had a pancake pan that worked very well once seasoned, and so wasn't washed, just thoroughly wiped.

Non-stick pans don't need to be seasoned.

Whether I wash mine depends what's been cooked in it, and how messy it is, but I tend to wipe it thoroughly with paper and use it again, once or twice, and I do wash it after every second or third use.

It also depends on whether my dishwasher is getting full or not! It's only a small one.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 05:57 AM

I bought a wok a couple of years ago and the instructions on the pack said " Do not wash, just wipe clean".
I use it often and , up to now, I have had no ill effects & nothing sticks to the wok.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 06:53 AM

Yes I wash mine out after every use.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 08:22 AM

I've got one but rarely use it, I wash it each time.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I bought a wok a couple of years ago and the instructions on the pack said " Do not wash, just wipe clean".
I use it often and , up to now, I have had no ill effects & nothing sticks to the wok.
If you think about it, there are probably more bacteria on the stuff you're about to fry in the pan, than on the wiped-out pan! Plus, the heat from the next frying would kill any that were there!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
If you think about it, there are probably more bacteria on the stuff you're about to fry in the pan, than on the wiped-out pan! Plus, the heat from the next frying would kill any that were there!
Very true!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 09:15 AM

Most of the time, I re-heat it and wipe it with kitchen roll but sometimes it is necessary to wash it, after cooking a sauce or something. After washing, I coat with oil.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 09:21 AM

I no longer use a frying pan, I threw mine out years ago and replaced it with a grill pan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top