Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 11:42 PM

Millennials are Wrecking the Divorce Rate

Now they've gone and made the older generations feel guilty by causing the divorce rate to plummet, even as older generations are still breaking up (relatively) right and left :

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ate-to-plummet

Millennials who marry and make it work tend to have married older and are better educated on average.

Their younger, less-educated peers are more inclined just to live together.

Will marriage end up being a status symbol? I hope not.

No arguments from me about waiting, though.

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 07:40 AM

Re: Millennials are Wrecking the Divorce Rate

Millennials are still relatively young, though, aren't they?

While it is better that they are marrying later, they might still find that into their fifties they grow apart.

But maybe not. Only time will tell!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 09:23 AM

How do they define 'millennials'?
Surely it should only apply to those born in the new millennium which would make the oldest 'millennial' 19 years old - hardly likely to be in the divorce statistics!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Surely it should only apply to those born in the new millennium which would make the oldest 'millennial' 19 years old - hardly likely to be in the divorce statistics!
Yes, that's what I don't understand.

I didn't marry till my mid 30s, many of my peers married mid 20s. My children's generation are doing it mid 30s.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 12:19 PM

It would seem that there is some debate about the exact description of 'millenials', the description of the various terms used for age groups appears generally to be as below:

Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old) Generation X:[/B] Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old) Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22-37 years old) Post-Millennials: Born 1997-Present (0-21 years old)

The age group covered by 'millennial' would mean people of that age could well contribute to divorce statistics. The three links below contain information on this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8679741.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53363...st-millennials

My take on this, as a divorced person, in relation to the attitudes of my two now adult, married offspring, born in the mid-1970s is that they both say they are only too aware of what can and does go wrong so will know to make every effort to ensure their marriages don't go wrong in that way.

That's a real positive and perhaps those types of views contribute towards less divorce statistics. Also if, and as we all know, people are living together rather than marrying so that too contributes to those statistics – no marriage so no divorce.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Exactly!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Exactly!
I googled it earlier, and it seems to refer to people born between 1980 and the early 90s, rather than people born from 2000 onwards.

There are some differing definitions, though.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 02:51 PM

They don't make me feel guilty in the slightest. If I'd not gotten away from my ex husband I'd have ended up doing jail time.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2019, 10:56 PM

I can’t see why it depends on your education whether you marry or live together.
You save a lot more by not getting married, no expensive big day that offers no guarantee of a long relationship. Besides, it’s so expensive to get out of it, if things go wrong.

At one time, l would never have dreamt of living with anyone but now l think it’s the better than wasting money on show off weddings. I’d rather have a better house with the money saved!
Pyxell
South of England

27-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I can’t see why it depends on your education whether you marry or live together.
You save a lot more by not getting married, no expensive big day that offers no guarantee of a long relationship. Besides, it’s so expensive to get out of it, if things go wrong.

At one time, l would never have dreamt of living with anyone but now l think it’s the better than wasting money on show off weddings. I’d rather have a better house with the money saved!
Getting married doesn't have to cost much, just the licence and registrar fees, etc.
Having a party and getting dressed up is just extra fluff on the getting married bit.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top