Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 04:54 PM

E-bike camera

I just fitted a video camera to my e-bike. It sits inside a fully waterproof casing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted the camera on top of the handlebars to start with but didn't like it there much. Luckily, the camera has an upside down mode and with this turned on, I was able to position the camera upside down and less obtrusively beneath the handlebars. It comes with a small remote control to start and stop the recording. This avoids the need to press the buttons on the casing.

I took a video of my trips to the allotment and back this morning expecting the quality to be jumpy because of the rough and potholed surfaces that the sides of roads have. I was quite surprised to see that the camera coped with this very well. I'm pleased with it all in all. It might not be a top-notch camera at only £50-00 (plus the price of an SD card) but it certainly seems to do the job.

It looks quite big in the close up but when seen in relation to the whole bike it's fairly compact.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Re: E-bike camera

Originally Posted by mart ->
I just fitted a video camera to my e-bike. It sits inside a fully waterproof casing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted the camera on top of the handlebars to start with but didn't like it there much. Luckily, the camera has an upside down mode and with this turned on, I was able to position the camera upside down and less obtrusively beneath the handlebars. It comes with a small remote control to start and stop the recording. This avoids the need to press the buttons on the casing.

I took a video of my trips to the allotment and back this morning expecting the quality to be jumpy because of the rough and potholed surfaces that the sides of roads have. I was quite surprised to see that the camera coped with this very well. I'm pleased with it all in all. It might not be a top-notch camera at only £50-00 (plus the price of an SD card) but it certainly seems to do the job.

It looks quite big in the close up but when seen in relation to the whole bike it's fairly compact.

Seems to blend in ok Mart! Give us an update when you
have been through a couple of rainstorms!

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 06:12 PM

looks good doesn't it. Fits in very well I reckon.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 06:50 PM

Forgot to ask Mart, how does the E bike go??
Regards Donkeyman!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Forgot to ask Mart, how does the E bike go??
Regards Donkeyman!
It's OK Donkeyman. Pedal power assistance is given up to 15.5 MPH (although the speedometer shows 16 MPH). That sometimes doesn't feel fast enough on the flat but when I get back on the manual bike and try to keep up a constant 15.5 MPH, it makes me realise just how much assistance the motor gives.

The e-bike will freewheel down hills faster than that though. The governing of speed doesn't affect the speed the bike can freewheel at.

I still ride the manual bikes as well. I have gathered a Trek and two Claud Butlers over the years. Just overhauled the Trek that has been in the shed for a couple of years gathering cobwebs.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

19-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It's OK Donkeyman. Pedal power assistance is given up to 15.5 MPH (although the speedometer shows 16 MPH). That sometimes doesn't feel fast enough on the flat but when I get back on the manual bike and try to keep up a constant 15.5 MPH, it makes me realise just how much assistance the motor gives.

The e-bike will freewheel down hills faster than that though. The governing of speed doesn't affect the speed the bike can freewheel at.

I still ride the manual bikes as well. I have gathered a Trek and two Claud Butlers over the years. Just overhauled the Trek that has been in the shed for a couple of years gathering cobwebs.
The E sounds great for us old geezers Mart, l am 84 and
havent been on a bike for about 12yrs now!
But before motor bikes l had a Holdsworth tornado with
what they called a massed start frame and gears and cranks
and hubs etc of your choice! And my mate had the same as
you, a Claude Butler,a nice bike! But he had sturmey archer
hub for gears which was not considered IN in those days!
I dont think l will ride again as my eyes and wrists etc are
stuffed?
Anyway its been nice chatting to you, brought back some
good memories!!
Regards Donkeyman!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

19-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Age gets to us all in the end Donkeyman and the hard riding can't be kept up forever. My brother and co-cyclist is about your age and his cycling came to an end a couple of years ago due to illness. He is not able to take to the pedals again.

With that, my motivation went so no more off-road riding for me. We'd often spoken about e-bikes but didn't want to give up on the exercise. However, having seen how quickly bike riding ability can come to an end, I thought I'd get an e-bike while still fairly fit and get a number of years (hopefully) enjoyment out of it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Looks interesting and a lot of fun.

Is it 4K? You might find you can capture a decent still photo from it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

19-07-2019, 09:44 AM

The camera will take videos in 4k (30 fps) but it doesn't handle it very well. Panning around produces a somewhat jumpy result. I've reduced the quality to 1080p (60fps) and the results are better.

The camera probably isn't as good as something that costs more but it's good enough for the purpose. I haven't tried any still photography with it yet.

It's possible to take the camera out of the waterproof casing and use it for other purposes. It comes with a kit containing many different brackets/fittings in order to cater for this.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 11:36 AM

I think I have a similar camera I bought it for about $50 from Amazon on special (end of run?). Mine is an Activision CX and it only does up to 1080p 30fps, it came with all sorts of methods of attachments including standard quarter inch and gopro attachments as well as waterproof case.

Haven't used it much to be honest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top