Join for free
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 10:55 AM

Passwords part Deux!

Here's a thought. Probably unnecessary but hey! Why not?

We regularly update our password RECORD.

A list of passwords for our bits and pieces. Computer things, mobile phones, PHOTO ALBUMS on PC's etc.

We keep them in sealed envelopes and update them every High Holiday to remind us.

That way if or when the need arises our kids can access all the bits and pieces that are password protected.

Then there's back ups.

Backing up to floppy disks (remember them?) Was actually somewhat problematic. They could and did drop bits very a period of time but backups to DVD's isn't safe for all time either.

Without boring techno babble the CD's and DVD's almost always use a different recording method than the music and video things we buy.

Nevertheless backing files up to a CD or a DVD remains a very secure means of securing data. Just keep them preferably in the dark and always out of direct Sunlight.

Me? I make two backups at the same time AND CHECK THAT I CAN READ THE DATA.

How often to backup? That depends on how much you're prepared to lose. I back up bi-monthly now. While at work I backed up my work daily but that was when my laptop was mostly emulating a VDT on the company servers.

So that's my rambling done for now. Take it or leave it. Obviously your choice entirely.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Re: Passwords part Deux!

I use a password manager that remembers the passwords and fills them in automatically as required. Then, all that has to be stored or remembered is the password for the password manager. Just in case there was any trouble with this, passwords are written in a text file buried in the system and also printed out.

Every time a major update of W.10 is installed, I make a disk image of the entire system using EaseUS ToDo and Windows' own disk imaging function. These images are saved to a 2nd internal hard drive and a USB external drive.

A DVD doesn't have enough storage capacity for a full system backup. I read it's possible to save it to DVDs by 'spanning' disks but I haven't tried it.

Other stuff goes on those on those disks too. All downloads, lots of files etc.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I use a password manager that remembers the passwords and fills them in automatically as required. Then, all that has to be stored or remembered is the password for the password manager. Just in case there was any trouble with this, passwords are written in a text file buried in the system and also printed out.

Every time a major update of W.10 is installed, I make a disk image of the entire system using EaseUS ToDo and Windows' own disk imaging function. These images are saved to a 2nd internal hard drive and a USB external drive.

A DVD doesn't have enough storage capacity for a full system backup. I read it's possible to save it to DVDs by 'spanning' disks but I haven't tried it.

Other stuff goes on those on those disks too. All downloads, lots of files etc.
I do much the same .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:07 AM

As with the others I use Keepass password manager.

Personally I don't backup all my HDD only the files I create plus the AppData folder. I work on the theory that all my programs are either on DVD or downloadable. The operating system again recoverable so there is little point in saving all that. I do use M$ libraries which makes backing up much easier..

I save all my files to a couple of NASs and I acknowledge that strictly speaking that is not a proper backup but it has worked for me for a long time and I am happy with it. I do back up some data to the cloud but not much.

My backups occur every night and are automatic using batch files and Robocopy.. I alternate between each NAS even and odd dates.

Works for me.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top