Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Things are Falling Out of Your Back End!

At Target (a mass merchandiser) yesterday, I was loading the car with my purchases just as a family of tourists drove off with the hatch of their SUV open.

The family was unaware that their valuable possessions, which included expensive camping gear and new purchases were falling out the back like boulders down a cliff. Determined to get on their way, they picked up speed ignoring honks and shouts of fellow shoppers, while the items falling out increased in number.

Since they had parked across from me, I was the first one to notice and ran over to scoop up the items while others tried to flag them down.

Eventually, a very nice man running full speed, managed to stop them a city block away.

It was a great scene with so many swooping in to help - a pleasant reminder that most people are good, decent, and cooperative without giving it a second thought.

We are not all saintly though. I imagine that the poor husband is still hearing about it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Re: Things are Falling Out of Your Back End!

Were they the "Pratt " family by any chance
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
At Target (a mass merchandiser) yesterday, I was loading the car with my purchases just as a family of tourists drove off with the hatch of their SUV open.

The family was unaware that their valuable possessions, which included expensive camping gear and new purchases were falling out the back like boulders down a cliff. Determined to get on their way, they picked up speed ignoring honks and shouts of fellow shoppers, while the items falling out increased in number.

Since they had parked across from me, I was the first one to notice and ran over to scoop up the items while others tried to flag them down.

Eventually, a very nice man running full speed, managed to stop them a city block away.

It was a great scene with so many swooping in to help - a pleasant reminder that most people are good, decent, and cooperative without giving it a second thought.

We are not all saintly though. I imagine that the poor husband is still hearing about it.
It's nice to think there are still people around willing to help, surfer. Did you get anything interesting?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Most people are quick to respond to others misfortune . That is what makes us great
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Sounds like a scene from "National Lampoon's Holiday"!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Sounds like a scene from "Nation Lampoon's Holiday"!
It does.

When I worked in London, I lost count of the times I saw people drive off with a cup of coffee left on the roof of the car and sometimes their briefcase too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's nice to think there are still people around willing to help, surfer. Did you get anything interesting?
Yes! When I got home, I checked the booty to see that I had absconded with a hammock compressed into a small bag, a soft-sided cooler, and a bag of dried apples.

Time for me to go camping!

Who said I was one of the nice ones?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-07-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It does.

When I worked in London, I lost count of the times I saw people drive off with a cup of coffee left on the roof of the car and sometimes their briefcase too.
I was with a friend who did this and then made the mistake of opening his sunroof. I discovered that he has exceptional mastery of the more edgy aspects of the English language.

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Most people are quick to respond to others misfortune . That is what makes us great
Yes, Apricot! What I like is that helping out seems to be most people's default position.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 11:58 PM

Surfermom, You seem to have lots of adventures when you go shopping!
Do you remember the people who were rude at the supermarket and didn’t you try to tell them they’d left their shopping in the trolley but they drove off or something like that?

Back to this incident, weren’t they lucky that you and others were so helpful, obliging and went out of your way to reunite them.with their purchases.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

23-07-2019, 03:23 AM

Art angel, you and TessA are so right!

It is pure entertainment watching families spill out of the vehicles, bouncing or trudging, as the case may be, on the way to their beach vacations. There is never a shortage of grumpiness, chaos, and pure fun.

Vacations bring out the very best - and worst in people .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top