Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:26 PM

Breast screening

I am due for hopefully my last breast screening in three weeks time.

However, since I fractured my right shoulder last November I cannot put my raise arm high enough to put it in the correct position for the screening. Normally it doesn't incommode me at all, but this is one time when it might. I shall phone the clinic tomorrow and explain the situation.

Has any other woman on this forum had a similar sort of problem?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:42 PM

Re: Breast screening

No, Tara, can't say that I have.
I think all you can do is explain, like you said, and see if they can suggest a way round it.
They must have come across similar problems before.

Maybe they could adjust the machine a little different, or worse come to worse, just do the other breast?
Even that is probably better than not having it done at all, do you think?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Tara, I would reiterate the advice given by Mups - good luck with the outcome.

By the way, at my screening two months ago I was advised that, because of my age, I would not be called again. However it was made clear to me that there is nothing to prevent me requesting screening, if I would like to undergo the process in another three years.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 06:19 PM

Oooh it's an unpleasant few minutes of discomfort and just when you feel you cant take a moment more they press the release button .

I should ask for a later appointment if I were you Tara its uncomfortable enough without a painful shoulder .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Thanks for your replies. I doubt I will be able to move my arm in the future any better than I can now, I suspect I may have arthritis in the shoulder now too. Anyway I will see what they say when I phone them tomorrow.
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

21-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Am sure they will be accomodating.
I usually faint having it done and ask to be able to sit down. They always say they can't do that, but when I inevitably start to sway, a chair is very quickly used.
Phone ahead and explain and I'm sure they will be able to adjust for you x
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 07:35 AM

I always think to myself I bet a bloke designed that machine . OMG the pain is indescribable isn't it . But thank goodness for it , but I hope in the future a new design appears
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2019, 08:47 AM

They say the smaller the breasts the more painful the screening is. I am well endowed in that region 36C, which doesn't normally please me, preferring them to be much smaller, however, I don't find breast screening particularly painful.

My appointment has been cancelled due to my inability to raise my arm high enough. If the situation improves I can rebook the test within the next 12 months.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Tara 36 C is just right !
( I am 36 C )
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:21 AM

They help you get into the position and can move the machine to accommodate. I went with a frozen shoulder and they made it possible for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top