Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 04:54 PM

It's not all bad news about football fans …

Despite my dislike of football, mainly due to hooligan problems many years' ago, there are some heartening stories that come to light. This one in particular shows a person who has given so much to worthwhile charities, his mother is very proud of him and his efforts.

"I'm proud my son is storing 1,000 bricks in my garden"

"The loss of his grandmother prompted Jonjo to raise £350,000 for the Bobby Moore Fund, a cancer charity linked to his favourite football club, West Ham United."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49884207
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Re: It's not all bad news about football fans …

I read the BBC news item earlier in the day. It is a good thing what the lad has done in keeping the bricks, rather than have the builders destroy them. What i do find disgusting though is that the wall in question is a wall of remembrance of West Ham fan's, each Brick tells a story, some good, some tragic and the club could not be bothered to find a new home for them and that they were going to allow builders to demolish the wall without informing those who donated money to have a brick there to have a chance of getting getting the brick back. It took some foresight by this lad to do what the club should have done, shame on the club in my opinion.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
I read the BBC news item earlier in the day. It is a good thing what the lad has done in keeping the bricks, rather than have the builders destroy them. What i do find disgusting though is that the wall in question is a wall of remembrance of West Ham fan's, each Brick tells a story, some good, some tragic and the club could not be bothered to find a new home for them and that they were going to allow builders to demolish the wall without informing those who donated money to have a brick there to have a chance of getting getting the brick back. It took some foresight by this lad to do what the club should have done, shame on the club in my opinion.
Quite agree with you there, if a young lad can think of something like this it does make me wonder at the club. These days though it seems anything goes, nobody seems bothered any more, too much trouble and probably no money in it!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 10:15 PM

That's amazing, Barry. What a wonderful story. It just goes to show there are some very kind people out there who go out of there way to support worthwhile causes. And I agree with Dodge that the club could have done more to help.
It's all about business to them though isn't it?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top